Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Binders and Bulletin Boards

Hello Everyone!  I have been in my classroom every day this week getting ready for the students to arrive.  I can't believe we will be back in just three weeks!  To anyone who is not a teacher, that seems like a long time.  However, I am already switching to panic mode.  I've been studying our Common Core for language arts.  This will be our first year using the Common Core in our district.  I'm looking forward to sharing how my teaching partner and I tackle the standards as well as seeing what others do.  I have been so inspired by others' ideas already.

One of the things I did to help make planning language arts a little easier is make new binder covers and side labels.  Somehow, pretty binders make planning easier.





I combine August and September as well as May and June.  I realize not everyone may do that, so I also made these.

There are side labels that fit a 2 inch binder as well as a 1 1/2 inch binder.  If you would like another size, please let me know.  You can get a copy of the binders here.
*I completed a remake of this product.  There are now 24 binder covers, side labels for 2, 1 1/2, 1, and 1/2 inch binders.  All items except the 1/2 inch side labels are editable.  I have learned a lot since originally writing this post.  You can see these in my TPT store by clicking here.





Now, on to bulletin boards...
I have used every type of paper imaginable to cover my bulletin boards.  In the past, I have used art paper, fadeless paper, wrapping paper, newspaper, student-created paper...  This year, I am trying something different.

I found these fabrics at Jo Anns.
I love the look of black/white/gray against bright colors, so I bought these at Lakeshore.
I am very happy with the way the fabric looks on the bulletin boards.  I really wish I started doing this years ago.  
On the left side of this one are my 7 habits posters.  On the right, I will be putting up the sticker charts we use as a reward system.  I will be talking about these in a future post.
This is the side of my filing cabinet.  I use this area to post information on assemblies, etc.  I just love the yellow dog.  Its head is a magnetic paper clip holder.  A parent gave it to me a couple of years ago.
This is the board I will use to post my Daily 3.  I'm working on getting that together.  (I also still need to label the student book boxes and do about a million other things.)

This will be the first year I am posting bulletin boards that will stay up all year.  I have mixed feelings about it.  I'm sure I will be changing the hall displays more often now because I love to show my students' hard work. There are just several things that I need to stay up all year (learning targets, Leadership theme items).  I need to save as much of my wall space as I can for my anchor charts.

What have you used to cover your bulletin boards?
Do you change them or keep the same ones up all year?

Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Love your bright colors with the black border! Your room looks great!!

    All my boards except one stay the same all year... I do have one that is just for student work in my classroom that I call my "Center Stage" plus I have a HUGE floor to ceiling board in the hallway to use to display more student work. So I usually don't change the boards out once they're up - they're up! :)

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing you should ask... I just got back from doing my bulletin boards. I put up no-fade paper this year with borders around the edges. I will post pics this weekend. :) Your boards look great!!!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete