Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Classroom Committees and a Question

Hello Everyone!  In my classroom, I have always had a helper complete tasks such as take the attendance to the office, pass out papers, run errands, etc.  This has worked well for me, and I plan on continuing it. However, this year, I am adding a variety of committees to take care of the other needs in the classroom.  This way, I don't have to keep asking people to complete these tasks.  The responsibility will fall on the students.

Right now, I have four committees planned.  I will have students place the committees in order of their preference.  Hopefully, no one will end up with their last choice.  I plan on meeting with each committee to make a plan, and checking in with them a minimum of once a month. Most likely, it will be more than that at the beginning of the year.

I am anticipating 24 students this year.  That would mean 6 students per committee.  I would like to get that number down a bit, but that is where I am stuck.  I have been racking my brain for another committee that would not interfere with the helper's duties, and I am drawing a blank.  I was thinking about some sort of leadership committee, but I'm not sure what that would look like yet.  I might just start the year with four and see if the need arises to form a fifth.

Anyway, here are my four committees.  If you have any suggestions for a fifth, I would LOVE to hear them.

(Draft)





Thank you!  I would truly appreciate any input.  If you think six would be an ideal number for a committee, please let me know that too.

Enjoy the last days/weeks of summer.  It is flying, for sure!

3 comments:

  1. One of the class jobs in my room (about 4 kids share each job) is Earth Caretaker. They are responsible for turning out lights, making sure that only landfill goes into the trashcan and not recyclables, and they tend to our compost bin.

    I have "gardeners" and "zookeepers" as well who take care of the class plants and animals. Those could fall under the Earth job too though.

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Environmental Committee, Social Committee... We keep our outdoor shoes, coats, backpacks in the hall, so one of my jobs is making sure the hall looks great.
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, environmental/caretaker committee it is. Thank you, Lisa & Nick for your input! I will be sharing my new posters in the next Monday Made It.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete