Pages

Friday, July 19, 2013

Favorite Pins and Fiction Friday




I just finished reading Wonder by R.J. Palacio.
Guided Reading Level - U

Wonder Air Ire Exp

This is an excellent book about a boy named August who was born with severe facial abnormalities.  The story focuses on August's first year of going to a "real school" in fifth grade after previously being home schooled.  The book begins by telling the story from August's point of view.  Later, the book shifts, and the story is told from other points of view.  The reader hears the story as told by August's sister, Olivia, and several key students in both August's school and Olivia's high school.  I went through an entire range of emotions when I read this book.  The author does an excellent job with character development.  There are characters I want to hug and characters I want to severely reprimand (to say the least).

I plan on using this book as a read aloud with my fourth graders this year.  There are so many excellent points of discussion on how to treat others.  My only dilemma is when to read it.  Initially, I was thinking about the beginning of the year when how we treat others is such a main focus.  However, I may wait until we start talking about point of view.  This book is absolutely excellent for that.  Besides, it's never a bad time to discuss treating others with respect.  Have you read this book?  How do you plan on using it in your classroom?

I'm looking forward to seeing the great titles that everyone else found.


Now, on to my favorite pins for the week.

When I click to find the link for this, I received a message that the URL no longer exists.  I love the pop of color here with the black and white dress.
I love the pop of color with the black and white dress.

I could live off of appetizers.  These zucchini and feta balls from Closet Cooking look amazing.

Kolokythokeftedes (Zucchini and Feta Balls)
I especially love the eraser holder in this pin from Teaching Madness.  Making this is on my back to school to do list.

Possibly the Perfect Pencil System

I pinned this from Confessions of a Third Grade Teacher.  What a great idea for great ideas.

for "Bright Ideas"

I love this chart from Third Grade Thoughts.  Our school has a leadership theme.  I plan on making this chart with them at the beginning of the year, but I will change "classmate" to "leader" to match our theme.

Great Opening Activity
Finally, I'm really into making cupcakes.  I love trying new recipes.  This is one that I will have to try out soon.  They are Twix cupcakes.  I got the recipe from Crafts by: Ready, Set, Love.



Twix Cupcakes    #cupcakes #dessert #readysetlove
Those are my pins for the week.  I can't wait to see what everyone else found.

2 comments:

  1. Wonder is truly an awesome book. So awesome in fact that I read it multiple times and wrote a 170-page Novel Study Unit for it! Check it out!

    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Wonder-by-RJ-Palacio-Novel-Study-Unit-602041

    I think it'd be great to read at the beginning of the year for all the character ed and community building stuff, but last year I read it at the end of the year. I thought it went really well for the end too!

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read Wonder as a read aloud, but I read it at the end of the year. My students really loved it. There are also some book trailers on YouTube that you could show to practice making predictions.

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete