Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Liebster Award - Thank you!



I would like to thank Rachel from A Tall Glass of Water and Angelia from A Day at the Beach in Fourth Grade for nominating me for the Liebster Award.

The Liebster Award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. So, what is a Liebster? The meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. Blogging is about building a community and it's a great way to connect with other bloggers and help spread the word about newer bloggers/blogs.

I am very excited about both of these nominations!

Here are the rules:
1. Link back to the blog that nominated you.
2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers.
3. Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator.
4. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
5. Create 11 questions for your nominees.
6. Contact your nominees and let them know you nominated them.

Questions from Angelia

1. What is your favorite movie and why?

The Jason Bourne Series.  I love action movies.  Matt Damon doesn't hurt either.

2. Why did you start blogging?

I have been following blogs for a long time.  It looked like a lot of fun and a good way to expand my professional circle.

3. What is your favorite vacation spot?

It's a toss up between Hawaii and Colorado.  I am very active, and there was so much to do in both of these places.

4. What is the one teacher tool that you cannot live without and why?

My SmartBoard.  It allows me to provide student interaction for every lesson.

5. What was your favorite subject in school when you were a child?

Math - I always loved to try to figure out challenging problems.

6. Who or what inspired you to teach?

Nothing in particular - I just always "knew" that is what I wanted to do.

7. What is your favorite piece of technology?

For personal use - My new laptop
For school use - The iPad my school so generously gave to me to use.

8. How do you like to motivate your students?

A variety of positive reinforcement.  The same thing doesn't work for every student or even the same student every day.

9. What is your dream car?

I never really thought about it.  If I could get by without a car, that would be ideal.

10. What do you like to do for fun?

I love running, biking, exercise in general, baking, crafts, gardening, reading, traveling, playing games, and just hanging out with my family and friends.

11. What is your favorite food to cook?

Cashew Chicken


Questions from Rachel


1. How long have you been teaching and what grades have you taught? 

I am about to start my 21st year of teaching.  I taught special education for 15 years, fifth grade for three years, and I am about to start my third year of teaching fourth grade.

2. What was the best concert you attended?

Creed - Such powerful messages in their songs!

3. What is the one thing you must do before going to bed?

Brush, floss & rinse.  Oops, that's three things.  Let me change that to take care of my teeth.

4. What is your favorite thing about where you live?

My family, friends, and job are all nearby.

5. Do you have any pets? If so, how many and what kind?

I have always had a pet.  Right now, I have a gray cockatiel named Flash.

6. How did you think of your blog name?

I combined two of my favorite passions: fitness and teaching fourth grade.

7. Do you have a guilty pleasure?

I am very health conscious, but every once in a while, I must have a Filet-o-fish and a large order of fries from McDonald's.  When I crave this, nothing else will do.

8. Where was your favorite vacation?

It's a toss up between Hawaii and Colorado.  I am very active, and there was so much to do in both of these places.

9. Where did you go to college?

I grew up in North Carolina where I attended Appalachian State for one year.  After that, my dad was transferred to Columbus.  I finished my Bachelor's degree in Special Education at Ohio State.  I went on to get my 1-8 Elementary Education licence at Ashland University.  Finally, I completed my Master's at Ohio State.

10. What's the funniest thing a student has ever said to you?

I am a little weird about not posting quotes from my students.  I will say they always keep me on my toes, and I love them for it!

11. What is one thing you cannot live without?

Passion for life

11 Random Facts

1.  I am afraid of geese, mice, and rats.
2.  I am a huge college basketball fan.  I have about 10 "favorite" teams.
3.  One day, I'd like to hike the Grand Canyon.
4.  Graeter's toffee chip ice cream is the best.
5.  Despite #4, I really try to eat all natural healthy foods MOST of the time.
6.  I am the second oldest of 10 kids.
7.  I have run in four marathons and about a dozen half marathons.
8.  I really wish I had the time to get a dog.
9.  My front porch is my favorite part of my house.
10.  Snapdragons are my favorite flower.
11.  I don't watch much TV, but I love Project Runway.

The Blogs I am nominating are:



4mulaFun Blog Fan

Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

Teach N Tex

Apples and Chalk Dust

(I'll be on the look out for more this week.)

Here are my 11 questions.

1.  How did you come up with your blog name?
2.  What type of music do you like?
3.  What is your favorite sport to watch/play?
4.  How many siblings do you have?
5.  What is your favorite restaurant?
6.  What do you enjoy doing most when you are on vacation?
7.  What do you enjoy most about teaching?
8.  What are your hobbies?
9.  What is your favorite children's book?
10.  What do you enjoy most about having a blog?
11.  What do you like best about where you live?

I'm looking forward to reading the responses.
Thank you to everyone for the support I have received so far.

4 comments:

  1. Well dagnabbit! I just posted that I also nominated you! Congratulations!
    Here is where I nominated you:
    http://thetnd.blogspot.jp/2013/07/they-love-me.html

    Love the blog!!!
    ~Amy
    The Teacher Next Door

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much for nominating me, Mary. It was so much fun to get to know you better with these answers. That's why I love these posts! I find myself saying, "I LOVE cashew chicken. I LOVE Jason Bourne. I bet I would LOVE Hawaii!" :) What a great blog you have!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the nomination! I just finished my post! I enjoyed learning about you. Where in Colorado have you visited? I also have run half and full marathons! Although those were a number of years ago... nowadays I stick to the 5Ks :-)

    Lindsay
    http://apples-and-chalk-dust.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete