Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Must Read Mentor Text


Today, I am joining my first linky party.  I am excited to link up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for their Must Read Mentor Text Linky Party.  One of my favorite books to read aloud to my students in language arts at the beginning of the year is The Wednesday Surprise.  


This is a great book about a grandmother who never learned to read. On Wednesdays, she secretly meets with her grandaughter, Anna, who teaches her how to read.  She ends up giving Anna's dad the best birthday gift ever by reading to him.

The Wednesday Surprise

I like to start the year by reading aloud several books with positive messages about reading.  Following each read aloud, my students and I add to a comparison chart with the problem, solution, and message about reading from each book.  I try to mix up some fun ones with some that are more serious.  I don't choose the same ones every year, but some of my favorites are listed below.

Wolf

A super cute book about a wolf who plans on attacking farm animals, but they don't even notice. They are too busy reading.  This motivates the wolf to learn to read himself.

Read for Me, Mama

A young boy is puzzled why his mother never reads to him.  She finally admits she doesn't know how to read.  She attends night school to learn.

Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair

Books in this town are used for everything... except reading.  People are much too busy watching TV to think about reading their books. That is, until Aunt Chip steps in...

The Incredible Book Eating Boy

A boy discovers that he can learn a lot of information by eating books. He eventually realizes that reading them is a better option.

What are your favorite books about reading?  I'm always looking for new titles to add to my list.

Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. The only one I've heard of is the Patricia Polacco book! These sounds super cute and great for the beginning of the year! I will definitely have to check them out! Thanks for linking up! Congratulations a your first linky! :0)

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and for hosting this awesome linky party!

      Mary

      Delete
  2. The Wednesday Surprise is one of my all time favorites. Thanks for all the other book suggestions. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethany. I believe I followed your blog as well. This is the first time I tried to follow via bloglovin.
      Mary

      Delete
  3. Great list of books! What a great message on overcoming challenges!
    Congrats on your first linky!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I pinned your suggestion of Wild about Reading. I'm looking forward to adding it to my collection. There are so many awesome titles out there. I just love reading about them.

      Mary

      Delete