Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Must Read Mentor Text

Today, I am linking up with Amanda and Stacia for their Must Read MentorText linky party.  This week's topic is mentor texts for math. This year I will not be teaching math.  However, I have a book that I saw at a conference that I would like to share you.

Last May, I was able to attend Peggy Sharp's conference titled, "What's NEW in Children's Literature".  When I left, I was super excited about all the great titles I saw.  If I were teaching math this year, I would have definitely bought...
This book is about monsters at the movie theater.  While they are there, they calculate various measurements, including the area of the movie screen and volume of a popcorn container.  It looks like a great way to introduce/review these concepts.  It is on my list titled, "Buy this if you go back to teaching math".  Yes, I have a list called that :)


















Have you used this book in your classroom?  I'm curious if anyone has. It looks like it could lend itself to some fun projects.

I'm off to check out some other cool titles to add to my list.

(For some reason, some of my images are not allowing me to center and are leaving rather large spaces between the image and my typing. If anyone could give me a pointer or a link on how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.)


3 comments:

  1. Very cute! I THINK I may have seen this book before but I definitely don't have it! It looks perfect for an introduction to this part of measurement!

    Thanks for linking up (especially since you don't teach math!)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not used this book before but I am on the look out for a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great book! I will pass this title on... Just found you today and am a new follower!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete