Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Must Read Mentor Texts

Hello Everyone!  Today, I am linking up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for Must Read Mentor Texts.
This week's topic is social studies.  I found a super cute book to help introduce government.  The book is titled Vote for Me!
                                  Vote for Me!
This is the story of a presidential election.  Elephant versus donkey. Each candidate states their case for why they should be elected, but it's not too long before the mudslinging begins.  Literally.
Eventually, the animals apologize to each other, and they are ready to find out the winner of this election.  Who wins?  The Independent Mouse, of course.

I like this book to introduce government because the political parties are very clear.  Students can also discuss the impact of running an election with a negative campaign.  I love teaching social studies, but my government unit needs to be spiced up a bit.  This book looks like one good way to do that.  I plan on reading it to my students at the beginning of the unit in order to get their interest and open the conversation about fairness and being positive.  This book would be appropriate for all elementary aged students.  The conversation would just take different turns.

There is also some exaggeration found in the promises that are being made.  This would lend itself perfectly to a lesson on hyperbole.
I'm off to read about all the other great social studies mentor texts. Be sure to head over to Collaboration Cuties blog and check them out.

Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love the idea of this book- my 4th graders really struggle to "get" government, too. Thank you for sharing! Oh, and I'm your newest follower! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really fun book to introduce government! I'm not even sure I understand both sides so this'll even help me! ;0)

    I will definitely be checking it out!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks too cute! I just found your blog through the Mentor Text Linky. I am a new follower. :)
    MIchelle
    Miss King's Enchanted Kingdom

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me hooked when you said hyperbole! Looks like a great book! Thanks for sharing!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI!

    I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Thanks for sharing!

    Constance
    Life with Ms. Learn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just happened upon your blog, and I have to share that I love its design and colors! I will be co-teaching in fourth-grade this year, so I look forward to following your blog!
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! Thanks for the recommendation!

    I'm your newest follower! A fellow fourth grade teacher :)

    -Caitlyn
    Fourth Grade Lemonade

    ReplyDelete