Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2013

My Latest Read

For the past two years I have been using Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen as a read aloud.  Last year, I bought the four other books in the series (The River, Brian's Winter, Brian's Return, and  Brian's Hunt).  I couldn't keep them on the shelves after that, much less grab one to read myself. This summer, I wanted to start reading the other books in the series. I started with Brian's Hunt (guided reading level R) because I wanted to see if you needed to read the books in order after the first one.  You really don't, but I could see where it would be helpful to have a little more background information.

Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga Series #5)

I enjoyed reading this book.  It makes a great book for independent reading because students already have a strong understanding of the Brian from the read aloud.  One caution: at one point in the story there is a rather vivid description of a bear attack. I plan on warning students ahead of time about this.  However, the overall themes are strong: the bond between a boy and his dog and people doing what it takes to look out for each other.

Have you read any books from this series?
Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment