Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

My Writing Center

Hello Everyone!  I'm very excited to say that today I finished putting together my writing center.  I'm going to share the things I have available for students to use during their independent writing time.

I try to give my students many options, and I change them throughout the year to keep things fresh.  I have found that choice is one of the biggest motivators, especially for my reluctant writers.

Here is what the entire writing center looks like.
On the far left, I keep my class journals.  Students may write their personal stories on the given topic here.  They may read each other's stories during free reading time.

I keep a lot of basic supplies in the drawers (glue, colored pencils, crayons, etc.)  However, two of  the drawers have some fun things to add to the notebooks.
One drawer contains a variety of cards for students to use.  Sometimes they send the cards, and sometimes they glue them in their notebooks, depending on what the purpose is.  Here are a few samples of the cards that are in the drawers.

Another contains different notepads/Post-its for students to use. Here are a few items found in there.
On top of the drawers, I have a brainstorming box.  I got this idea from Amanda at One Extra Degree.  I put in some random items from The Dollar Store to inspire story writing.  Students love this.  They have come up with some very creative writing pieces using these items.


Next, I have my story starters, which I change out throughout the year. You can read more about them here.
Right beside my story starters, there is a green can.  Inside, you can find the Story Bubbles that I got from Tara at Fourth Grade Frolics. The idea is to use three or four of these pictures together to create a story.  Students have a lot of fun with this.

Students keep writing projects we do together in a writing folder that I will post about at a different time.  The crate with the writing portfolios is for shorter, completed writing assignments/independents pieces that have been through the revising and editing process. It is great to have these writing pieces handy on conference night.  At the end of the year, students publish all of their shorter writing pieces at our school publishing center.

On the far right, I keep some more general supplies.  I covered some coffee cans in scrapbook paper.  I especially love this one.  Students can use colored pens to draw attention to strong vocabulary words, figurative language, etc.  I saw this idea on Kelly's wonderful blog - Fabulous in Fourth.


I have 21 different writing ideas posted to inspire students' creativity. If you are interested, you can get them for free here.

I also wanted to call attention to the label on the notebook paper basket.  It is from Kristen at Ladybug's Teacher Files.  She made editable labels that fit perfectly on these baskets from Really Good Stuff.  
My next project is preparing the writing learning targets to display. This will be my district's first year for the Common Core.  I need to make sure my students and I are very clear on what is expected.  I'm looking forward to sharing those with you soon!

3 comments:

  1. Your writing center looks great. I'm sure the kids appreciate all the variety of ideas and tools.

    Heather
    room 4 imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Soooo many great ways to get students excited about writing!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete