Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Peek at my Week, starting with a Must Read Mentor Text

Hello Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at my Week.
I love this idea for a linky! Here are a couple of things I'm planning for this week.
First, I would like to share a mentor text that I am using this week.  I am linking up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for Must Read Mentor Texts.
This week's topic is social studies.  We are starting the year off with a look at Prehistoric Indians.  I am on the look out for a great mentor text on this topic.  If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.  One book that I do have is Ohio Native Peoples.
This book is a great supplement to our text and other resources the district provided.  I have six copies, so sometimes I use it for small groups of students who need some reinforcement.  This book has some great text features, such as this map showing how Prehistoric Indians crossed the Bering Strait.
I like to share this information about the Burning Tree Mastodon.
After we discuss this and information on how prehistoric people used these giant mammals, I show a short video called, "Weirdest Prehistoric Animals Collection".
Students love this!
Like I said earlier, I'd love to hear any suggestions for mentor texts covering Prehistoric Indians.  I have several good ones for later groups, but this is an area I need to "beef up".
I have my students' names plugged into Kidblog.  This week, I am going to try this site with my students for the first time.  Right now, I'm going to focus the discussion on our read aloud (Wonder).  Later, I will try to branch out a little more.  I am very excited about this!  A few of my coworkers tried it last year, and I have seen it on multiple blogs. Everything I've heard has been positive.  I can't wait to give it a try!
14 New Kidblog Features You're Guaranteed to Love.
This week, our school is having an assembly that I am very excited about.  Last year, we introduced the students to the 7 Habits, as presented in Sean Covey's book, The Seven Habits of Happy Kids.
The 7 Habits of Happy Kids
This year, we are going to have multiple student-led assemblies to reinforce the habits.  Several of my students will be participating in this first one by reading their reflections about what our school means to them.  This will be part of our back to school celebration.

By the way, even if your school is not part of the Leader in Me training, this is an excellent text for character and community building.  I highly recommend it.

Well, those are a few things I have planned this week.  

I'm off to see what everyone else is doing and to check out some great social studies mentor texts!

Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I just found your blog through the linky, I love finding other 4th grade bloggers!

    I just read Wonder this summer and I was thinking about reading it to my new class. This is my first year teaching 4th grade, I have taught 3rd grade for 6 years. How do you students feel about the book?

    Thanks!
    Tara
    TeachingwithTWitte

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear your updates on Kidblog! I haven't started it yet with my students ... I just got them all logged on to check out my library books and went over all the other procedures so I think they were zapped after the first week. I figured, I'd give them a little bit of down time before trying it out. Let me know how it goes! I can't wait test the waters this year :)

    We have an older text in our Social Studies department called Ohio, It's Land and it's People... I'll take a look at it. It's a thin book with some good information. If it has some good stuff on ancient Native Americans I'll send it your way! I'll check it out on Monday. Now that Ohio has changed the fifth grade curriculum. I just have a few for a reference but they don't help me.... :)

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life
    Follow Me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hearing a lot about Kidblog-I can't wait to hear what you think about it and how it works for your class. I'm reading Wonder as my read aloud too! We will have to collaborate Mary!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also wish there were more resources for prehistoric Native Americans. I know that the public library is a good resource. I reserve books and they transfer them and call me when they are ready. Saves me tons of time!

    I have my kids loaded into Kidblog and am ready to go too! Can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

    Thanks for linking up, Mary! I hope you'll come back again next Sunday. Have a great week!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooo, all of this is so awesome! I haven't seen that book (probably from I'm from GA but was born in Ohio!! :O) ) It looks really neat though! I'm going to have to dig deeper in this!

    Thanks so much for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to be using Kidblog as our family message journal this year. I'm interested to see how it goes!

    Wonder is seriously the best book to come out in a long time! Check out my novel unit for it if you haven't already! http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Wonder-by-RJ-Palacio-Novel-Study-Unit-602041

    PS - That Platybelodon is seriously freaky!

    -Nick
    Sweet Rhyme – Pure Reason
    Follow my blog with Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing a peek of your week! We use kid blog to blog with our grade levels across the district about math, and it works well... I will have to check out your "Habits" suggestion!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete