Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

ELA Surveys and a Freebie

Hello Everyone!  Today I'd like to share a few things that I use to get to know my students as readers and writers.  In the beginning of the year, I have my students complete a reading survey and a writing survey.  As I was looking over these to prepare for the beginning of the year, (just 12 days away!!) I did some thinking about what was most important for me to know about my students.  I revised the surveys to focus on what I felt was the most pertinent information.  (I also added a cute border and clip art.)
 

 
If you are interested in these surveys, you can get a copy here.

Another thing I do to get to know my students as readers is allow them to sign up for book talks on the independent reading books they love.  When they are ready, they simply move their number under the appropriate heading.
On Fridays, I carve out some time in the morning for students to share their books.  As students are sharing, others take out their "Books I Want to Read" form.  Students record any book they are interested in reading later.
Students also use this form in the beginning of the year when they are browsing my library.  I like that it gives my students a plan for what they want to read next.  It is especially helpful when I introduce new books, or share similar books after a read aloud.  This form allows for students to keep the new title in mind while maintaining  accountability to finish their current book.

If you are interested, you can get this form for free here.

What do you use to help get to know your students as readers and writers?

Thank you for stopping by.  Enjoy the rest of the week!


4 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of getting to know students better through the use of "book talks"!
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a very similar questionnaire to get to know my students as readers and writers. I also try and feel out some of their favorites during our speed booking day. I've never thought of doing book talks however -- I really like that idea. I've had students share on a board or create recommendations but I think a share out would be great!

    Thanks for the idea,
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found your cute blog. I'm nominating your blog for the Liebster blog awards :). Head over to my blog to find out more about how to accept the nomination and pass the love along.

    Angie
    Teaching With Class

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary!

    I love the idea of students signing up to do a book talk. I think I will try that this year. Thanks for the idea!

    I just finished "The One and Only Ivan" on your recommendation and LOVED it! I wrote about it in my blog today and gave you a shout out. :)

    Have a great weekend!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete