Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Must Read Mentor Texts

Hello Everyone!  I hope you are all enjoying your final days of summer/beginning days of school.  It was gorgeous in Columbus today.  I was able to get a lot accomplished outside, including a five mile run.

Today I am linking up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for Must Read Mentor Texts.
This week's topic is language arts.  One of my favorite topics to teach in language arts is figurative language.  I just love it when we complete a lesson on similes (or some other form of figurative language) and students begin to incorporate them in their writing.  Here are two of my favorite books to use when I am teaching similes.
My Dog Is As Smelly As Dirty Socks: And Other Funny Family Portraits    My Best Friend Is as Sharp as a Pencil: And Other Funny Classroom Portraits
In these books, a boy describes important people (and animals) in his life with some very descriptive similes.  Here is an example of how he describes his dad.  
Following the description, there is an illustration of the person (or animal) that uses all of the items from the similes.
After I share these books with my class, I have students write their own similes to describe someone they know.  Afterwards, they really have fun creating their own illustrations.

There are many good books out there that incorporate similes as well as other figurative language.  I find my students pointing out similes in their novels and our read aloud constantly after we go over them in class.  These books provide a fun way to provide direct instruction on this skill.
I'm off to see all the other wonderful language arts books.  I have a real weakness for these.  My Amazon cart is overflowing.
: )

Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Cute idea about students writing a smile descriptive passage about a classmate! I'm going to do that this year! :) Just found you through the linky and am a new follower! :)
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love My Dog is as Smelly as Dirty Socks! I read it last year and my students LOVED IT! I didn't know there was another one as well ;) Hmmm... might need to check that out! I love the illustrations in those books they are absolutely wonderful!

    If you need a good book for idioms you might want to check out Even More Parts by Tedd Arnold... it's another great figurative language book.

    I feel you about Amazon! What did people do before the internet??? I would have a MUCH smaller library for sure ;)

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used My Dog is as Smelly as Dirty Socks for the first time last year - I think I found it through this linky! But I have not used My Friend is as Sharp as a Pencil - thanks for the suggestion - I teach a split grade and always need new books to teach the same concept!!

    ReplyDelete