Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Must Read Mentor Texts

Hello Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for Must Read Mentor Texts.  This week's topic is math.
The book that I'm going to share with you today is one of my favorite math mentor texts titled If You Hopped Like a Frog.
If You Hopped like a Frog
This book is full of fun facts and comparisons such as, "If you high-jumped like a flea, you could land on Lady Liberty's torch."  I love the fun facts and illustrations!

Students can use this information to make estimates of just how high a flea can jump, etc.

In the back of the book are the actual numbers (or close estimates - another discussion topic).  For example, a flea can jump about 70 times its own height.  Students can use this information to figure out exactly how far they could jump, if they could jump like a flea.

A few of my other favorite facts are:
"If you swallowed like a snake, you could gulp a hot dog thicker than a telephone pole."
"If you had the brain of a brachiosaurus, your brain would be smaller than a pea."
"If you scurried like a spider, you could charge down an entire football field in just two seconds."

In each case, the more precise numbers are in the back of the book. This is a great book for estimation, multiplication, division, and ratios.  I just love it, and so to the students.
I'm off to check out all the other great mentor texts.

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.  Good luck to those who are going back to school tomorrow!

Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. Love the sound of this book! I need to add it to my wish list! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to check this book out... it sounds great!!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds great and you are right there are so many different ways you could use it - that is why I am pinning it right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really cute!! I'm kinda thinking that I have this book or it's in a series we have in our planning room! I will have to dig it out!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet this would work well for a writing compare/contrast too. I'll have to check into it and add it to the linky I ran for Six Traits Writing Ideas if it works.
    Carla
    Comprehension Connection

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute book for estimation! And I bet your students love the fun facts! Adding it to the wish list!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great book! Great book to start off measurement and reasonableness.
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete