Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Workshop Wednesday - Setting up Reading Workshop

Hello Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Jivey from Ideas by Jivey for Workshop Wednesday.  I will be sharing a lesson that I do to help set up my reading workshop.
One of my favorite lessons in the beginning days of reading workshop is real vs. fake reading.  To start off, I used a poem from one of my favorite poetry books, Lunch Money.
This poem is about a girl who is so engrossed in her reading that she doesn't notice anything else that's going on around her.
The discussion about the poem focused on how we know that Annie is really into her book.  Students used the pictures and the text to support their responses.  After we discussed the poem, I had the students brainstorm the difference between real reading and fake reading.  Together, we came up with an anchor chart.
After we made the anchor chart, I had groups of students come up and model real reading.  Then, they had some fun and modeled fake reading.  All students were involved in both groups.  I took pictures and posted them on the appropriate side of the chart.  (I would love to share the photos, but I do not have parent permission to do so.)  We review this chart for several days just before independent reading time to remind students of the expectations.

Here are a few other anchor charts we have made during the opening days of reading workshop.


I'm excited to move forward with reading workshop.  Right now,  I'm off to check out all the other great ideas to get things started.

Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I haven't heard of this book/poem- and what a great way to introduce those first days' lessons! Love it!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poem...I am going to use this!!!!

    ReplyDelete