Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

A Peek at my Week, Starting with a Must Read Mentor Text


Hello Everybody!  Today, I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at My Week.



I'd like to start by sharing a fabulous mentor text that I will be using this week.


Hooray!  Today, I get to link back up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for Must Read Mentor Texts.  (I missed the last two weeks because I no longer teach science or math.)


We have been working on our "Conflict and Settlement" unit in social studies.  Our current focus in the Revolutionary War.  One great mentor text for this unit is George vs. George, by Rosalyn Schanzer.


This book starts off by showing how the two Georges (George Washington and King George III) are alike.  


Soon, the reader sees the sharp differences between these two. The book takes the reader through the entire process of the colonists' fight for independence: from unreasonable taxes, to the Boston Tea Party, to the Declaration of Independence, to the the end of the Revolutionary War.

What I like best about the book is how it uses a variety of easy to read maps and cartoons to make some very complex concepts understandable to my fourth graders.



I don't read the entire book to my class, but I share portions of it as we cover significant events.  The book is also available for students to read during Daily 3 work time.  If the Revolutionary War is in your curriculum, I highly recommend this book!



Here are a few other things I have planned for this week.


On Tuesday, we will have our second monthly school assembly.  We decided to have monthly assemblies to build the sense of community in the school.  At each assembly, we will be honoring a community leader. This month, we will honor our superintendent.  


I have used the book The Best Part of Me in writing for several years now.  I have seen many great versions of writing inspired by this book. One of my favorites is from Kelly at Fabulous in Fourth.  I love how she mounted the photos on black and white paper.  Here is the picture I pinned from her blog.


On Wednesday, students will work on our version of this project, using this inspiration.


I'm off to check out all the other great mentor texts and plans for the week.

Thank you, and have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Mary - I posted a reply to you on someone else's blog about penpals and wasn't sure if you would get it, so I'm posting here, too. I have 33 fourth graders and am still looking for penpals. Did you already find a class, and/or are you still interested for your students? We are in Alabama and would love to connect with a group from somewhere else. Let me know if this might be a possibility at janiefahey@gmail.com. Thanks!

    Janie
    Are We There Yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing "The Best Part of Me" picture - I will have to use that and integrate it to media/health! Have a fantastic week! I'm a follower :)
    Jenn
    Doodling Around in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. George vs. George looks like a great book. I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy before we start the American Revolution. Thanks for sharing!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love George vs. George, as I used to use it with my fifth graders. So interesting. Thanks so much for sharing The Best Part of Me--I must get a copy. It is new to me...

    Smiles,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. George vs. George looks like a great book. Do you think I could use it with 3rd graders?
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  6. The George vs. George looks great! I am also planning of using "The Best Part of Me" during writing time in a few weeks! We are studying visual literacy in my grad school class and we just read that book!

    ~Susan
    http://smgibson15.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete