Pages

Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Peek at My Week, Starting with a Must Read Mentor Text


Hello, Everybody!  Today, I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at my Week.



This week, our comprehension focus is questioning.  I'm linking up with Collaboration Cuties for Must Read Mentor Texts to share some wordless books that I will be using this week.


I love using wordless books for a variety of comprehension strategies, but they work especially well for questioning.  After we spend a couple of days on questioning, I will break out the wordless books.  I always love the discussion on whether or not your can "read" a wordless book.

As I turn the pages of the book, students call out the questions they have about the illustrations.  As you can imagine by this picture from Tuesday, by David Wiesner, the students are full of questions about these books.


After sharing a wordless book with students, I will leave a variety of them out for students to share with a partner and discuss the questions that they have.  They will be accessible to students all week during daily 3 time.

There are many great wordless books out there, but here are some of my favorites.






The ideas for using wordless books for questioning came from Comprehension Connections.  I just love this book for teaching comprehension strategies.




This Thursday is our first night of parent/teacher conferences. I will be working hard this week to finish up final preparations for this night. 


Friday is our annual Walk-a-thon.  Last year, I was able to run/walk 36 laps around the track (9 miles).  This year, I told my students that my goal was 36 again.  Well, my students decided that I need to push myself a little further this time, so my new goal is 40 laps (10 miles). We will be on the track for about 2 1/2 hours, so this is doable, but I'm going to have to watch my pace more closely this year.



A good friend of mine is hosting a party for the OSU vs. Northwestern game.  I'm looking forward to visiting with a lot of college friends. Now, I'm not a huge football fan, but I do have two degrees from Ohio State.  Plus, just living in Columbus, you can't help but cheer for Buckeye football.


Those are some of my highlights for the upcoming week.  I'm off to check out what everyone else will be doing, as well as some great language arts mentor texts.

Thank you, and have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. I looooove David Wisener's wordless books! They are so great for inferencing!! Thanks so much for linking them up!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! Do you know the wordless book "Chalk" by Bill Thomson? It is also great! Thanks for sharing these.
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing all the wordless book recommendations! There are so many great ways to use those in the classroom!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Zoom books and the David Wisener books. I am slowly collecting all of his books...they are great for so many things!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great ideas! I could see how you could use wordless books for writing too -- write the story that goes with the picture. The Mysteries of Harris Burdick is also a great text for that.

    Thanks for linking up again this week! It's always nice to read about your upcoming week. Good luck in your walk-a-thon!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete