Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Peek at My Week

Hello Everybody!  Today, I am excited to link up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her Peek at my Week linky party.


Here's a look at some of the things I have planned for the week.



This week, I will be introducing the French and Indian War to my students.  One of the things I have planned is for students to make skits from the point of view of the French, British, or Indians.  (They will be divided in three groups.) Students will have to show a strong understanding of what each group wanted, and what they needed to do to get what they wanted.  I've never used iMovie before, but my plan for later today is to learn it well enough to record my students later in the week.  As we progress through the unit, I'd like to have students add skits, including interviews on how the groups felt about the end of the war.  Students can use the movie as part of the review before our test.  
I have several foldables planned for our interactive social studies notebook.  Here is the one that goes with this lesson.  (The foldable is part of The Ultimate Collection by Lovin Lit.)


I have been sharing lots of mentor texts with students on small moments.  This week, students will begin writing a personal narrative on a small moment.  Last week, they used this graphic organizer to come up with ideas.  This week, we will begin the writing process.
(You can get this for free here.)



I am thrilled to be a part of the district literacy committee again this year.  This Thursday, we will meet to discuss planning for the Common Core.  It's difficult being away from my classroom this early in the year, but I am excited to collaborate with some awesome teachers from across the district.  I really like the guides we have created so far, and I'm looking forward to moving on with planning for the Common Core.


Well, those are a few of the highlights of this week for me.  I'm on my way to check out what everyone else has planned.

Thank you, and have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. We worked a lot on the Common Core this summer. I look forward to hearing about what you learn from your conference.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your number buttons are adorable! Did you make them?

    Love your SS foldable!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete