Pages

Friday, September 13, 2013

Five for Friday, Starting with a Fabulous Find


Hello, Everybody!  Today, I am linking up with Doodle Bugs for their Five for Friday Linky Party.

fiveforfriday2_thumb3

Here are five random things from my week.



First, I would like to link up with Courtney and Sarah from Hoots N' Hollers for Fabulous Finds Friday.


I have to credit my wonderful teaching partner for this find.  She suggested we use the book Comprehension Connections to find hands on ways to teach comprehension strategies.


This is a great resource!  This week, we worked on schema.  In a future post, I will explain the details about the lessons from the book.  For now, I just want to say I love the book, and I will definitely use many more of the lessons!  

Here's the anchor chart my students and I created on making connections.





This week in social studies, we worked on a skit so students could show their understanding of how the French and Indian War got started. After going over the material, we came up with the most important points on how the war got started.  Here is what my students came up with.


The skits the students wrote had to reflect their understanding of all of these facts.  The class was divided into three groups.  Each group presented their skit from a different point of view (Native Americans, French, and British).  The students had a lot of fun with this, and so did I!



On Thursday, I met with a group of colleagues from fourth grade classrooms across my district to plan for the Common Core in language arts.  We focused primarily on reading, and I am excited to try some of the ideas we came up with.  However, I was most excited to find out that our district purchased Linda Hoyt's Interactive Read-Alouds for each building.  I've been eyeing this resource forever, and it looks like it will be as good as I thought.  Most of the books recommended are popular enough that they should be in our school library, if I don't own them myself.




This week, during a planning meeting, our wonderful GATE teacher showed us how to use the Storybird.  She gave us a great suggestion for how to use it for story elements.  I can't wait to give it a try!  I will have to play around with it on my own first, but I'm looking forward to seeing what my students create with this.  

Joyful simplicity  



This week, I found a great recipe on Pinterest from livetoindulge.com.  The recipe is for spicy chicken pasta. This recipe is perfect for  those who like a little kick in their food.  My only issue was that it called for three cups of heavy cream. I reduced it to one cup and added a cup of skim milk.  That was more than enough sauce.  I will reduce it further the next time I make this recipe.
Spicy Chicken Pasta

I'm off to see what everyone else has been up to and to check out the other Fabulous Finds from the week.  

Thank you, and have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. That recipe looks delish! I may have to try that!

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comprehension Connections sounds great! Thanks so much for sharing! AND that spicy chicken looks delightful!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to hearing about how you like Comprehension Connections.

    I have used Storybird in the past. My students seemed to get hung up on looking at and choosing a picture and then writing their story around the available artwork. It would be interesting to try it for story elements though.

    Have a great weekend!
    JMrs. Laffin's Laughingsennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously....can you tell how tired I am to insert my blog name inside my name.....Being Friday the 13th doesn't help either. I'm going to bed now. :)

      Delete
  4. I've heard comprehension connections is a good book for lessons. I have "Strategies that Work" and heard it is very similar.

    I tried Storybird for the first time with my students this week. I just had them play around with it and they started making a story. They really seemed to enjoy it. We are going to use it again this week during computer lab time so hopefully I'll learn more about it and can share on my blog.

    Follow Me on Bloglovin
    (smgibson15.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete