Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Spark Student Motivation Saturday - Organization

Hello Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for her fabulous linky Spark Student Motivation Saturdays.

Today I would like to talk about motivating students to stay organized. This year, I am trying to use committees in my classroom.  (So far, I love this!) After I explained the committees to my students, I had them write down their top three choices.  (This year, I was fortunate enough to give everyone one of their top two choices.)  One of the committees is the organization committee.


I have a mix of students on this committee.  Some are clearly very well organized, but some need a little push.  I decided to form the committee like this to see if being a leader would help these students become more organized.  I am very pleased to report that, so far, this is working out well.  When I met with this committee, I explained how important it was for them to model organization for other students and that I needed to trust them in this leadership role.

One of the responsibilities of the committee is to hand out these Desk Monster Notes from Molly at Lessons with Laughter.  No one in the committee is a bus rider, so once a week at random, they stay a few minutes after school to hand these notes out to those students who have kept their desks neat and organized.

These are the ones I'm starting out with.

These are cut out and ready to be laminated by my wonderful volunteer.  (What would we do without our volunteers?!)

I am thrilled by how seriously the committee is handling the responsibility of passing these out.  I told them that they can not give one to themselves unless their desks were perfect because they are the leaders.  This has been a huge motivator for my students who need a little help with organization.  

I will keep you posted, but so far, so good.

I'm off to check out all the other inspiring ways to motivate students.

Have a great weekend!  Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. What a cute and simple idea! I am excited to to hear how it continues to work-I think my kiddos would be super motivated by the desk monsters! Thanks for sharing!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. What other committees do you have? Does each student belong to a committee? Totally stealing the organization committee idea! I need it desperately this year! (How did you know??!!) Thanks for sharing and linking up a great idea!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Mary! I love that it builds leadership and encourages students to stay organized on a regular basis. The Desk Fairy visited our room on Friday and it wasn't pretty...

    Have a great week!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete