Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Spark Student Motivation - with Music

Hello Everyone!  Today, I am linking up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for Spark Student Motivation Saturday.



I would like to share some ways that I use music to motivate my students.  I have found many benefits to incorporating music in my lessons.  Here are a few.


Here are some of the songs I have used so far this year, or that I will use in the near future.

Writing is Cool is a great video to review the basics of writing.  These are the things that I expect fourth graders to do automatically, but a review at the beginning of the year never hurts (especially if the review is to a catchy tune).  I found this video from Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings.  I just love her blog!



Five Things is a great video by Flocabulary on story elements.


This one is a Prefix Rap, also from Flocabulary.


The Main Idea Song is a short song by Reading Learning Upgrade on writing paragraphs with a main idea.  It makes a nice introduction to this skill.


Of course, I can't talk about incorporating music without a few Schoolhouse Rock videos.  Here is one on nouns, called A Noun is a Person, Place, or Thing.  (They have most of the parts of speech.  Just search on Youtube.)


Here is another Schoolhouse Rock video that I will use for our upcoming unit on the American Revolution



I'm not teaching math this year, but last year, my students loved this video.  It is about a square who wishes he was a more exciting polygon.  It's called The Polygon Song.


Know Your Quadrilaterals is an awesome video on the types of quadrilaterals.  This was another favorite of my class last year.  The pace of the song is a little fast, but they get the hang of it after listening a couple of times.  The chart is a great visual!


If you are in a Leader in Me school, this Dynamite 7 Habits Song is perfect!


I will make sure to share more music as I use it in my classroom.  It really does help with attention and focus!

I'm off to check out all of the other great ways to motivate students.

Thank you, and have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all of these videos! I am pinning this for later! I love using School House Rock with my kiddos. I am going to introduce this new class to the noun video next week!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! What a plethora of great videos/music! I'm bookmarking this post! (Schoolhouse Rocks is classic!) Thanks so much for sharing and linking up Mary!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of the great video links!!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using music in the classroom!! Flocabulary is one of our favorites!!

    ReplyDelete