Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tried it Tuesday - Brain Breaks

Hello, Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Holly from from Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried it Tuesday.


I'm going to be talking about the brain breaks I started incorporating in my classroom this year.

I have always believed in incorporating movement and kinesthetic activities in my classroom.  However, I have never "officially" used brain breaks until this year.

Our wonderful new fourth grade team member shared a great brain break with us on Youtube called "The Sid Shuffle".  Now, I have to admit, I was a little hesitant to use this at first, but it has worked out great so far.  We have specials first thing, which can make for a very long morning.  This is the perfect break between social studies and language arts.  Students have to have everything cleaned up from social studies and be ready to go with everything they need for language arts before they can join in.  (The time allotted for this depends on the activities involved.)  Students also know that when the music stops, the break is over, and they need to be ready to work.


Another time I use brain breaks is between the sessions of our daily three (usually once or twice during language arts, depending on the length of the lessons/work time).  For these quick breaks, I use the brain breaks from Stephanie at Third Grade Thoughts.



I love these for a quick break to keep the mind fresh.  There is a wide variety of activities (65), and I participate in most of them. (Sometimes, my outfit limits my participation.)  I have found they help me as much as they help my students.

If you've never tried brain breaks, I strongly encourage them.  They have noticeably helped my students with motivation and focus.

I'm off to see what everyone else has tried this week.

Thank you!

12 comments:

  1. My students love brain breaks. Such a great way to let loose, and let go of their frustration. I have a fan freebie of the ones I use on my Facebook page!

    Lindsey
    The Journey of a Beginning Teacher
    Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. My students LOVE when I share a video or song through the SMARTboard. Sometimes we will even have dance parties at the end of the day when we are cleaning up for dismissal. I am in a pod setting so I sometimes worry about disturbing the other classes.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so need to start doing this. I know my kids would benefit and so would I.

    Kim
    Quinnessential Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Brain Breaks! I need to make a little Brain Break cup like you!

    Jess
    I {Heart} Recess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have never "officially" incorporated brain breaks and after reading your post I have to! I love the Sid Shuffle video. My kiddos would love that!
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do a lot of dancing and quick movements for brain breaks but I have never used the ones from Stephanie - may have to check those out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh I love the idea of the "Sid Shuffle" - my kids are going to LOVE that! I have used some brain breaks before, but I will have to look into that mega packet you mentioned - I'm always looking for fresh ideas :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  8. That video is awesome! I can't wait to try it today! Thanks for sharing.
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to be more "on purpose" when it comes to Brain Breaks. Monday and Wednesday are very long days-very long afternoons...I am so sure a Brain Break would help!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today was a day that we definitely could have used this! Everyone seemed like they were asleep. Maybe because the school year routing has sunk in....

    Thanks for this resource! I'm sure my students will love it!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love brain breaks. They're so beneficial and great. I just think about the breaks we teachers need during meetings. I should put a jar in our conference room just for that.

    thanks
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love brain breaks too and need to incorporate more this year. I love the ones you downloaded from Third Grade Thoughts. I have to check those out! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete