Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

Tried It & Techie Tuesday - iMovie

Hello, Everyone!  Today, I am linking up with Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried it Tuesday.


I would like to share my experience using iMovie during a social studies unit on the French and Indian War.

 
Because this is a technology Tried it, I'm also linking up with Technology Tailgate for Techie Tuesday.


We started off the unit with some reading, discussion, SMART Board activities, and a Brain Pop on the French and Indian War.  After several days of these activities, we brainstormed the most important reasons/causes of the French and Indian War. I typed up the students' ideas and handed out the skit requirements to each group member.




I divided the students into three groups.  Each group had to write a skit from either the French, British, or Indians' point of view.  Each skit was introduced with a photo of a colorful, student-made sign.  I recorded all the skits on an iPad.

We did not act out the war for obvious reasons.  However, I had students make signs for some of the major battles. I took photos of all the signs and incorporated them into the movie. The last sign stated that the war was over, and the Treaty of Paris was signed.  The final part of our movie was an interview with all three groups.  In the interest of time, I scripted this one.


With the help of my tech committee, we were able to add some fun sound effects.  My students especially loved the suspense and footstep sound effects.


If you are interested in using iMovie, but don't know how to get started (like I was), here is a great video with the basics.  Having a crew of tech savvy students is also a huge help!



My students LOVED this activity.  It was highly motivating, and they learned a lot.  

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has tried.  I just love seeing all the new ideas on this linky!

Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I cannot tell you just how much I love this idea! You are going to make my social studies classes so much more exciting this year! Thank you for sharing what you are doing in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great activity! How come cool stuff like this wasn't around when I was a kid??? (That's a rhetorical question...you don't have to answer. :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so fun! Can't wait to try things like this in my room! We just got iPads!
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so cool! We're making iMovie book trailers next week and I cant' wait! Thanks for sharing.

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I am so excited that I will be able to use this with our new iPad mini. I have several of your posts ready for me to try out your ideas!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't even thought of using iMovie on the iPad as an app! This is great. Does the app cost much? I just got three iPads (had one before) and would love to do something like this! Thanks for linking up. :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete