Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Peek at my Week, Starting with a Must Read Mentor Text


Hello, Everyone!  It has been a very rainy weekend here in Columbus. The upside to that is I got a lot done around the house.  I also had a some time to make cupcakes to bring to a Buckeye football party last night.  What a great game that was!

Today, I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at my Week.



I'd like to start off by linking up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for Must Read Mentor Texts.


One of the books I will be reading with my students this week is When a Monster is Born.


This is a great book to read when you are discussing endings (especially in October).  The book has a circular ending, but there are many opportunities to discuss endings prior to getting to the actual ending of the book.

As a matter of fact, each page states a possible ending as well as a possible continuation of the story,



I love using this book with my students.  We have great discussions about adding details to stories, different ways to end stories, and how to ask questions during peer conferences.  (What if... What about...)

This book is very humorous, and my students have always loved it.  Students can easily pick up the story at one of the "endings" and complete the book in their own way.  I highly recommend this book as a read aloud for any elementary grade.



Tonight, we have a meeting to discuss our new contract.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly.  The team sounds positive, so I am optimistic about passing this agreement and moving forward.


Tuesday is our second night of parent/teacher conferences.  I have double the load since my partner and I decided it would be best if we met with both sets of parents.  (I teach social studies and language arts, and she teachers math and science.)  I hope this night runs as smoothly as the first night did.

I will likely spend a good portion of the rest of the week preparing for conferences and following up on  needs/requests.  Despite the amount of work involved, I truly value the relationship building that comes from conferences.

I'm off to check out what others have planned, as well as the other great language arts mentor texts.

Thank you, and have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. This book is very cute and sounds like it is very useful for teaching a variety of ideas! My little friends definitely struggle with adding details to their writing, so I'm thinking this would be a perfect read aloud for this month! Thanks for the ideas!
    Aylin :)
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks wonderful. I am excited because my library has a copy of this. I already put a hold on it! Thanks for the suggestion. Good luck with all your conferences this week.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks super fun! This is great because I still need to get to endings with our writing and we're in October so score!! Thanks so much for linking up!!

    Have a great week!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete