Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

A Peek at my Week, Starting with a Must Read Mentor Text


Hello, Everyone!  Today, I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at my Week.



I would like to start by sharing a mentor text that I will use in social studies this week.  I am also linking up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties for Must Read Mentor Texts.


I am on my second round of social studies.  We switch classes every six weeks, so my class is currently with my teaching partner for science, and I have her class for social studies.  One thing I noticed about my class during social studies is they took a great interest in the Revolutionary War.  I decided I needed more resources for this unit. With that in mind, I purchased The American Revolution for Kids.


The primary reason I purchased this text is to provide a resource to my students who express an interest in learning more about the American Revolution.  However, There are some parts of the book I plan on sharing with the entire class.  We have a school-wide leadership theme, so I am planning on sharing this section on George Washington with my kids this week.


I was intrigued by the "21 Activities" that was written on the cover. There are some fun things that  I would like to try this week, or in the near future.

Here is a recipe for Liberty Tea Punch.  You can use this when talking about the Boston Tea Party.  During this time, the colonists had to come up with their own recipes for tea since they were boycotting tea from the British.


These colonial children's games have potential for indoor recess or brain breaks.


This is a great mentor text. I'm looking forward to referring to it throughout the week for information and activities.




This Thursday, we will have our Halloween party.  My wonderful room parents are organizing fun treats and activities for my students.  I am looking forward to this afternoon.  Students and teachers are permitted to dress up on this day.  My team decided to dress up like characters from Duck Dynasty.  We have some interesting costumes planned.



On Friday, we have our Walk-a-thon assembly.  This has been our only fund raiser for as long as I have worked at my school.  I loved participating by jogging 10 1/2 miles.  I'm definitely looking forward to celebrating all of our hard work.


This Saturday, I will run in a 5K to benefit a program called "See Kids Dream".  This program is designed to build self esteem in our youth.


Those are the highlights of the upcoming week.  I'm off to check out what everyone else has planned, as well as all the other wonderful social studies mentor texts.  Thank you Jennifer, Amanda, and Stacia for hosting these awesome linkies!

Thank you and have a great week.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you get to teach American Revolution. Here in our district, Wisconsin history is taught all year long in social studies. Your mentor text looks like a winner!

    Thanks for linking up & have a great week!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching the American Revolution is my favorite part of social studies! This looks awesome! I'm not sure that I've ever seen it! Thanks for linking it up! I'll have to check it out!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete