Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Adding Fun to Syllable Practice - Part 2

Hello, Everybody!  In my district, we are required to begin our word study units with the different syllable types.  You can read my post about open and closed syllables here.  We have recently added silent e syllables to our practice.  My fourth graders are familiar with how silent e works, so we just did a quick review using a few index cards like this.


After reviewing, we compared silent e syllables to open and closed syllables.  I found this wonderful activity on Smart Exchange.


I made an additional Smart Board activity for center practice.

***If you would like a copy of this sort, just ask (either comment or email).  I'd be happy to send it to you!

I gave students a list of words for practice.  We divided these words into syllables and discussed the different syllable types.  Students also completed sorts and center work with these words.


Finally, I made some centers for students to practice sorting and making words with the different syllable types.  




You can pick up these centers at my TPT store right here.

We are currently working on vowel team syllables.  I am looking forward to blogging about the resources we are using in the near future.

On a completely different note, I am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow!  Our district gives us a conference comp day.  I have a lot to do, but I will get started a little later than 5:30AM.

Thank you, and have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I just added this product to my cart. I have been needing something for my 4th graders to review this skill, and I personally dislike teaching it so it is hard for me to create something fun for them. Thanks for creating it! Could I get a copy of the smartboard? Great job!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete