Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Dialogue Resources

Hello, Everyone!  Today, I would like to share a few resources that I like to use for teaching dialogue.  We are currently working on adding/revising dialogue in our personal narratives.

Here is a fun song that I use to introduce quotation marks.


There is also a great Brainpop video on dialogue.


Once students have had some practice using quotation marks, we get to work on word choice.  I love using The Wolf Who Cried Boy to model word choice for dialogue.

The Wolf Who Cried Boy

This book has excellent examples of using words in replace of "said". One of my favorite parts is when the young wolf was complaining about what was for dinner.
  
     "Lamburgers again," he whined.  
     "Sloppy Does," he howled.
     "Chocolate Moose," he whimpered.

While I read this book to my class, I asked them to clap every time they heard a word to replace "said".  A couple of them decided to make a face the few times that the word "said" was used.  I enjoy adding movement to my lessons, as it really helps keep my students focused.

After we read the book, we generated a chart with words to use to replace "said".  This is what we came up with.


After we made the chart, students worked with their writing partners to revise the dialogue in their personal narratives.

Students are doing a great job with this so far.  I am looking forward to the final products.

Thank you, and have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I love the song. My kids love the Brain Pop videos, too.
    Are We There Yet?
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great resources! Said is dead! Your kids made a wonderful list of substitutes. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Smiles,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas! I have an Interactive Writing Notebook where I have ideas on teaching dialogue. Do you mind if I put your blog post in with the resources? It will bring traffic to your blog! It was on TPT best sellers. I love to add to my products when I find good resources. Idea for your class: Play the song, You Talk Too Much. Ha!
    You are also welcome to join my linky if interested!
    Every Day is Like Sunday Linky
    Pam
    Rockin Resources

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great ideas! Love the videos!!

    ReplyDelete