Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Paragraph Resources

Hello, Everyone!  This week, one of our focuses has been applying paragraph rules to narrative writing.  I am going to share some of the resources I used to teach this skill.

I found this song on paragraphs/main idea.  The video does a nice job introducing paragraphs.


Next, we talked about the different elements that would change in our narrative writing, therefore causing us to start a new paragraph (characters, settings, speakers, and events).

I showed students several examples of paragraph changes from our current read aloud Wonder. We discussed the fact that there is no specific length for paragraphs.



When we were finished, we put all the information we learned on an anchor chart.


My wall space is limited, so I have to change my anchor charts periodically.  I had students cut out this reference sheet and glue it in their writing notebooks to use when the anchor chart was no longer available.

(Border by Fabulous Firsts)

Students also put a foldable in their notebooks with examples of sentences or phrases that would likely start new paragraphs.
For example, they wrote, "The next morning..." for the change in time section.


If you would like either (or both) of these, just let me know in a comment or email.  I would be happy to send them to you.

I also made an additional foldable, if you would prefer to have students use this instead of just giving them the list of rules.  I would be willing to send you this one as well, if that would work better for you.

(Foldable Template from Lovin Lit)

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Great lesson! So explicit and relatable to them. Thanks for reminding me to do this with my own 4th graders. Really love that anchor chart. Pinned it to remind me to make one myself.

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have both foldables.

    Thanks,
    Karen
    Karen.king@hazelparkschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have those for my kids to put into their interactive notebooks! This is great. They seem to have a hard time with this concept - actually putting into practice in their writing, as well as when to end a sentence - run-on sentence galore:)
    Thanks!
    ~Janie
    Are We There Yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic. I'd love a copy of them. My kiddos have the hardest time remembering when they are supposed to start a new paragraph. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look terrific. My kiddos are really struggling with paragraphing too. I'd love a copy of your goodies! Thanks so much.
    Ursula
    ugamler@boyertownasd.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this entire set. May I request a copy? I am new to teaching 5th, and assumed they'd know about paragraphing (I used to teach 4th and did extensive work with this), but alas, my kiddos need a review. Thank you!!!
    -Breda
    annisb@foxborough.k12.ma.us

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have the paragraphs starters foldable. Thank you! victoria.kuehn@mgschools.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like both paragraph foldables, thanks!

    ReplyDelete