Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Peek at my Week, starting with a Must Read Mentor Text


Hello, Everybody!  Today, I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her weekly linky A Peek at my Week.



We have been studying story elements in reading.  This week, we will focus on setting.  I am linking up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties to share a mentor text that works great for demonstrating how the setting can influence a story.


The book I would like to share is The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark.

The Three Little Fish and the Big Bad Shark

Have ever wondered what would happen if the setting of The Three Little Pigs changed to under the ocean?  This book shows how this setting changes my chinny chin chin to my finny fin fin (and other changes).

The first little fish is still not very bright, opting to make his house out of seaweed.  The shark was easily able to "munch and crunch" this house.

The second little fish was only slightly smarter, making his house out of sand.  Once again, the shark was able to "munch and crunch" this house.


The third little fish was the smart one of the bunch.  He made his home in an abandoned boat.


As you can see, the shark could not "munch and crunch" his way in here. Don't worry about him though.  He ended up changing his diet to seaweed.



Together, we will make a chart that compares this book to the original, The Three Little Pigs.

I love using this book to demonstrate the importance of setting.  After sharing this book, I have students rewrite another popular story in a different setting.  I have students complete this activity in their reading notebooks.

This story makes a great read aloud, and the students love it.  Here is a video of the book, if you prefer that format.






This Friday, I will celebrate my birthday.  I am looking forward to spending it with some of my closest friends.  Of course, I will have to get a new outfit for the occasion.  I will find some time this week to do a little shopping.  I have always been the type of person to celebrate my birthday.  I am incredibly grateful for the life I have!

I'm off to check out what everyone else is up to this week and to check out all the other great mentor texts.  Thank you, Jennifer, Amanda, and Stacia for hosting these wonderful linkies.

Thank you, and have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, Just found you through the linky :) I'm not familiar with this book, but it looks like a winner! I'll be sharing the video version with my class for sure!
    Thanks,
    Karli
    Creating a Thoughtful Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Early Birthday Mary! What a cute twist on a classic! I love fractured fairy tales and use them to teach writing. I'll have to add this to my collection!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Early Birthday! This book looks great! I love the twist on classic fairy tales. I'm going to have to find a copy of this one for my collection.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book! Yay!! And I do love it! I love all of the folktales and fairy tales that are different versions. I think it's so fun to compare and contrast them and then have students write their own versions!

    Happy early Birthday! I hope you have a great day on Friday!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy early Birthday!! I've never heard of this book, but it looks adorable. I'll be adding it to the list. Thanks for sharing!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the great book suggestion - I love fairy/folk tales and finding new versions is the best! Happy early birthday - hope you have a great time with your friends!!

    ReplyDelete