Pages

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Spark Student Motivation Saturday - Glogsters


Hello, Everyone!  This has been a rough week for my computer.  Last Sunday, the hard drive completely crashed.  My incredibly awesome brother was able to salvage most of my files on a portable hard drive, but the computer is pretty much shot.  Luckily, my brother was able to get my old computer up and running well enough for me to link up with Joanne from Head Over Heels For Teaching for Spark Student Motivation Saturday.

 

Today, I would like to share an awesome website for creating projects.  The website is glogster.com.  We have just finished reading books from our realistic fiction unit, and now my students are ready to glog.  This project incorporates two of my favorite motivators: technology and choice.

A glogster is basically an electronic poster.  All of my students' glogsters are private, but here is a link to some samples.

Dirt
The students are able to figure the site out in no time.  They can add pictures, graphics, videos, sound effects, and a huge variety of text boxes.

During our unit on realistic fiction, we have focused on story elements.  Students had the following requirements for their glogsters.

*Title and author
*Three character traits, with supporting evidence
*Describe one important setting
*Write a summary in the "Somebody, Wanted, But, Then, So, Finally" format.

In addition, students had to add three additional items to their glogs.  They had 12 different items to choose from including an award for a character, advice for a character, a different ending, and describe a connection.

(Due to my computer issues, I do not have access to the form I used at this time.  However, I will add it to the post as soon as I can.)

I'd also like to share a big motivator for myself from this week.  I adopted a dog from the shelter.  Her name is Millie, and I just love her!  She is a ball of energy, so being tired is not an option.  :)


Well, I am off to check out all the other motivating ideas.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this awesome linky!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I've used Glogster for the past couple of years and decided last year was my last year. There were so many computer issues, it was very frustrating for the kids. They would spend so much time working on their piece, save it and then the next time they logged in it wouldn't be there. I hope they've worked out the kinks! One resource I found to take its place was wix.com where you can make a webpage for free - the kids loved it and it's extremely easy to use.
    ~Janie
    Are We There Yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you had issues with saving. (Knock on wood!) It has worked smoothy in my class so far, but I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for issues. Thank you!

      Mary

      Delete
  2. This looks like an amazing resource! I know my kids would love it!

    Sorry to hear about your computer. My laptop died last year and my husband was able to save SOME of my files. It is such a pain, isn't it???

    Your new fury friend is so adorable! CONGRATULATIONS and good for you for giving a shelter dog a forever home. :)

    Have a great short week & happy Thanksgiving! I'm glad I "met" you in blog land this year!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glogster sounds incredible! You always have amazing resources! I can't wait to check this out-this may be the perfect project for this short two day week. Excited for Millie and sad about your computer! My computer's not old, (well a little over a year-I guess in technology years it is old!), but I'm so afraid of losing all my files! Thanks for sharing and linking up Mary!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. Millie is adorable! She looks so sweet! So sorry to hear about your computer. I had to buy an external hard drive to back up all of my files because I broke a thumb drive that had files on it from 2005. I was horrified. Luckily, someone was able to fix it. I've learned my lesson...back up, back up, back up! I love using Glogster. The kids do really well with it!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete