Pages

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Spark Student Motivation Saturday - Bonding with Personal Stories


Hello, Everyone!  Today, I am linking up with Joanne from Head over Heels for Teaching for her wonderful linky, Spark Student Motivation Saturday.


 

I believe that sharing personal stories about your life is a great way to bond with your students.  My students know that I am a runner, and they know when I race.  They know I am from a very large family with nine siblings and fourteen nieces and nephews.  They know I love Duke basketball, and that I am afraid of geese.  Don't get me wrong, I don't "overshare", but I believe that sharing some personal information goes a long way in strengthening teacher/student relationships.

Last week, I shared with my students that I was planning on adopting a dog.  We spent part of our morning meeting time looking at pictures and reading descriptions of dogs at the shelter.  We found dogs that were under 30 pounds, active, and good with children.  We ended up narrowing it down to two, and I chose Millie.  Students have asked me about her every day.  One student even brought in a leash for me!



We have so much to cover in our curriculum, that it can be difficult to remember the importance of building and maintaining a strong classroom community.  I believe that taking the time to bond with students both on an individual and classroom level is an invaluable way to motivate students to do their best.

On another note, I am participating in the Cyber Monday/Tuesday sale.  Most of the items in my TPT store are free, but all items that are for sale will be 28% off.  I hope you can find something you can use.


I am off to check out all the other motivating ideas.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this linky.  Every week I get so many great ideas.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I.Could.Not.Agree.With.You.More!!! I share all kinds of things about my life with my kids. Like you, I don't over share, but when I do, I have the rapt attention of every single kid in the room. They LOVE to hear about my life (boring as it may be). When I share stories of my dogs, they are so attentive. The parents will often tell me at conferences that they know all about my dogs, and this, and that. I guess I forget that they then go home and share my stories with their parents. Ha ha!

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete