Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Workshop Wednesday - Expanding Independent Reading Choices


Hello, Everyone!  I am taking a break from my report cards to link up with Jivey from Ideas by Jivey for Workshop Wednesday.

 

This week's topic is sharing lesson ideas using chapter books.  The book I would like to share with you is Nightmare at the Bookfair, by Dan Gutman.

Nightmare at the Book Fair

This is a great book about a boy named Trip who is so into sports that he doesn't even consider getting enjoyment from reading.  When Trip is asked to help set up for the book fair, he reluctantly agrees.  A freak accident in the library knocks him unconscious.  While he is "out"', Trip ends up going through a series of adventures (dreams) in the format of different genres.  Here's a look at the table of contents to get an overview of Trip's adventures through books. 


When Trip comes to, he realizes that he "lived" through a variety of interesting books.  The story ends with Trip having an appreciation for reading.  Trip still loves sports, but he realizes the enjoyment that can come from reading as well.

This is a great book to use for one of my ultimate goals - promote a love of reading.  I also use this book to review the different types of genres and encourage students to try something new.

For the past couple of years, I have used this book as my first read aloud as we talk about different genres.  However, this year I really wanted to read Wonder first, so I am saving it for mid-year when we evaluate our reading.  In the middle of the year, students look at the books they have read and set goals.  I have them track the books they have read on their reading log.

You can get this log for free by clicking here.  (There is a back page included.)

I reward students with a prize card (sit at teacher's desk, seat swap, lunch with a bud, etc.) if they independently read 5 different genres.  I plan on using this book as a reminder of this reward system that was put in place at the beginning of the year, as well as a refresher for the different genres.

I'm off to see all the other great lessons using chapter books.   Thank you, Jivey for hosting this fun linky.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I requested permission to access your awesome Reading Log! Thanks!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reading log should be accessible to everyone now.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really fun book! I haven't seen it before- that's awesome! Thanks for linking up! I can't wait to add it to my Amazon cart!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great book. It might be fun to have the students make a reader's theater script to retell the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I have never heard of it before! So many fun activities that could go with this!

    ReplyDelete