Pages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Peek at my Week

Hello, Everybody!  Today, I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her fun linky, A Peek at my Week.



1

First, and most importantly, I should get my computer back this week.  Although I am thankful my brother got my old computer into workable shape, it's uses are very limited.  I can't wait to start creating again!


2


This week, we will be talking about nonfiction structures.  One of my favorite nonfiction resources is Linda Hoyt's Exploring Informational Texts.



Linda Hoyt includes examples, attributes and key words for the different text structures.  This matches perfectly with the fourth grade Common Core standards.  I will be using these pages as a guide for creating anchor charts.


  She also includes suggested graphic organizers to use.  After I introduce the different structures to the students, I will incorporate the graphic organizers for different nonfiction texts.


3


This Friday, my school is sponsoring "Parents' Night Out".  We are offering to watch students from 6:00PM-10:00PM.  There will be a variety of activities from 6:00-8:00.  (My room will have karaoke!)  At 8:00, everyone will gather together and decide what movie they would like to watch.  The end of the night will be spent watching movies and eating popcorn.  I am in charge of this event.  Please let me know if you would like information about it for your school.  I would be happy to send it to you.

I am off to see what everyone else has planned for the week.  Thank you, Jennifer for hosting this linky!

Have a great week!

7 comments:

  1. I stopped by after posting on Mrs. Laffin's site. Cute graphics. I can't wait to check out the rest. Always looking for more science ideas, that's what I do all day. Love it. Happy Sunday:)

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. How generous of you and your staff to volunteer to watch your students on a Friday night, especially during this busy holiday season. I'm sure the parents appreciate it!

    I am going to check out the book you recommend here. Always looking for help in that area!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again....Just wanted to let you know that you have reverted back to being a "no reply blogger." (I tried to reply to your comment on my blog and it went nowhere.)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I found your blog on the Peek at my Week linky! I just got done teaching text structure a couple weeks ago and my school is doing a parents night out in two weeks! It is a movie night that our PTA uses as a fundraiser. It's always a lot of fun! Hope yours is great!
    Your newest follower,
    Jamie
    Life As I Know It

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a Parents' Night Out! Sounds fun and I'd love more information! Thanks for introducing me to a new book Mary! I'm adding to my wish list right now!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi There! I am teaching how to write a research paper while we are also doing research in readers' workshop - Exploring Informational Texts looks like a great resource! I am going to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I love your blog. I would like to have the information about the Parent's Night Out. I think this is an awesome idea.
    (rockingitin3rd@gmail.com)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete