Pages

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Similes & Metaphors in "The Grinch Song"


Hello Everyone!  A while back, I read this post by Go Fourth! With Mrs. Owens.  She talked about how she uses The Grinch Song to teach similes and metaphors.  I loved this idea (as well as other versions).  Here is my take on this activity.

We talk about similes and metaphors from the beginning of the year, pointing them out in read alouds, student writing, etc.  The first thing I do for this activity is play the song and have students listen for similes and metaphors.


Next, I hand out a copy of the words to the song and have students highlight similes and metaphors using two different colored highlighters.


After we go over the similes and metaphors, I play the song again and have students clap when they hear a metaphor and snap when they hear a simile.  I have used this activity the past two years, and the students really enjoyed it.  I am planning on using it again this year.

Earlier in the week, I read Jivey's post on Grinch activities.  She has students make literal drawings of the figurative language in this song.  I love this idea, and I will likely give it a try this year.

Thank you, and enjoy the rest of the week!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Mary! I will definitely be using this with my kiddos. They love looking for similies and metaphors in lyrics and this is perfect for this time of year!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I need activities like this for next week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you will try the drawings this year- they will crack you up, I assure you!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there an answer key for The Grinch song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Did you ever find an answer key?? I was hoping for the same thing! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I just saw this. Your comment did not go to my email. I didn't make an answer key for this activity. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

      Delete