Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Winter Word Work

Hello Everyone!  I hope you are enjoying the holidays.  It is definitely the time of year to spend time with family and friends.

In addition to spending quality time with my loved ones, I have been able to accomplish a few things for school.  I am ready to change out some of my spelling centers.  Prefixes, root words, and suffixes are a huge focus for us.  With that in mind, I created a Winter Word Work center.

I used these adorable snowmen and women from Ashley Hughes for the letters.


In addition, I used this awesome winter themed digital paper from Striped Elephants to create cards with 24 common prefixes, 24 Greek & Latin roots/prefixes, and 24 suffixes.  Here is a sample of each.




Now, I am ready to use these materials for a variety of center work, small group work, and whole class demonstrations.


If you are interested in purchasing this product, you can do so here.

It's always fun to have new activities for the students to do during each season.  I will definitely post more about prefixes, suffixes, and root words.  This is a huge focus for us.  Let me know if you have any cool resources for these skills.

Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary,

    I'm so excited to see you post about prefix and suffix word work! These skills are so important for kids as they work to become better readers. I have a product in my TpT store called "Word Parts We Know" that has brought my students great success! They basically learn five new word parts a week for 12 weeks and their vocabulary has grown immensely as a result. I'm going to send you the first level (Happy New Year!) for you to check out. I'd love to hear how it works for you. :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete