Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Peek at my Week, Beginning with a Must Read Mentor Text


Hello Everyone!  Today, I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her fun linky, A Peek at my Week.



I am also linking up with Collaboration Cuties for their wonderful linky Must Read Mentor Texts.  This week's topic is language arts.  I would like to share a mentor text I will use this week.


This week, we will begin a focus on point of view in reading.  One of my favorite books to introduce point of view is a book of poems titled, Once I Ate a Pie.


This is a great poetry book where all of the poems are told from a dog's point of view.  Here is an example of one of my favorites.


The illustrations are great too!


After sharing several of these poems with students, we talk about how they would change if they were told from the dog owner's point of view.  I then have the students rewrite some of the poems in their writing notebook.  Here is the example I use (from the poem above).


Point of view is one of my favorite things to teach.  I am looking forward to sharing more resources with you soon.


As far as the rest of my week goes, I will be spending the majority of my time completing progress reports.  They will go home with students on Friday.  

After checking the weather for Monday and Tuesday, I am questioning whether we will have school or not.  I hate falling behind with my plans, but I would sure put that time to good use if school ends up being cancelled!

Have a great week!
Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. Oh no! Another trip to Amazon for a book. I must stop reading the Collaboration Cuties' Must Read Mentor Text linky posts. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great mentor text! I love the follow up activity too -- rewriting from another POV. Thanks for linking up! Hope your week goes well.

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is this book!!! It looks so fun!! The poem by Darla made me laugh!! Thanks for sharing some great ideas on how you use this book!! And thanks for linking up!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute book and I love your follow up writing activity! Fingers crossed for your snow day!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks so cute!! Thanks for sharing about it! Wish we were getting a snow day...we just have the cold weather!
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this book. I've been looking for more poetry resources and this one fits the bill!! I can't wait to check it out. Good luck on your snow day!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great idea/ book suggestion! Love it

    ReplyDelete