Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

A Peek at my Week, with a Point of View Focus


Hello Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her fun linky A Peek at my Week.

 

 
This week, we are focusing on point of view. Yesterday, I read a post on Ideas by Jivey where she talked about using Pixar shorts.  I was totally inspired by this post, and I have decided to give it a try this week.  The one I will use is called Dug's Special Mission.


Before showing the video, I will randomly assign students to retell the story in either first person from Dug's point of view, first person from one of the other dogs in the pack's point of view, the bird's point of view, or to write the story in third person.  I am super excited to give this a try.  After watching, students will write their retelling and share them in groups that include a students with each point of view.  It should be interesting to discuss the differences in each one.

Another activity I am planning this week is one of my favorite writing activities called "A Day in the Life of..."  First, I will read students A Day in the Life of Murphy.


This book tells about a day from Murphy's point of view.  After that, students will write their own piece about A Day in the Life of... something.  In the past, I have had some very creative responses to this, including Justin Bieber's hair (when it was longer), a basketball, and a silly band.

You can click here and here to see other activities I use for point of view.  My students will tell you that I say all of the units (and books) are one of my favorites, but (if I had to pick just one) I'd have to say this one is my favorite.

I'm off  to see what everyone else is up to this week.  Thank you, Jennifer for hosting this linky.

Have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. You are welcome! Thanks for always linking up!!

    I read on Jivey's blog this morning about using Pixar shorts and found it to be a great idea as well. I love the activities you have planned! I will probably steal, I mean "borrow", those. :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I may have to steal it when we get there! I'll have to head over to check out Jivey's post too.
    ~Kristen
    Chalk & Apples

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooohhh...I still have 34 posts left to read in my Bloglovin feed so I had not run across Jivey's post yet. What a great idea. I am going to use this with your other post!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are going to be moving on to Point of View soon so THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete