Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Spark Student Motivation Saturday - Adding Art to Social Studies


Hello Everyone!  Today, I am linking up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for her awesome linky, Spark Student Motivation Saturday.

 

Let me start by saying, I am not an artist.  However, I love exercising my creativity and "attempting art".  My students always enjoy when I mix things up in social studies, and including art activities is one way I like to do this.  

We have just finished talking about the problems Ohio had becoming a state and how they overcame them.  While talking about Ohio's statehood, students learned about the meaning of the state flag through this click and reveal SMARTboard activity I made.


After learning about the flag, students created their own flags.  Here is a sample one.


We also learned about the State Seal.  I created another click and reveal activity to foster predictions and discussion.


Students were able to show some creativity with their art work in this next project.  Students came up with items that represented themselves.  They drew these items on a paper plate which was their personal seal.  Then, students wrote about the significance of each item.  The writing gave us a chance to review opening and closing sentences, adding details, and sentence variety - great bonus!

Here is a sample one I made.  (Please remember, I am NOT an artist.  You can get the idea though.)

 

I would love to share some of the seals my students completed, but I'm not sure if I need to get parent permission or school permission to do so.  If someone could let me know what they did in order to be able to show student work on their blog, I would appreciate it.  Student work always provides a clearer picture than mine, especially when art is involved.

At this point of the year, I know my students very well.  However, I always learn more about each student from what they decide to put on their seal.  I love the integration of social studies, art, and language arts.  My students are motivated by the personalization and creativity of this activity.  

I would love to hear any creative ideas you have about integrating art into social studies. 

I'm off to check out all of the other motivating ideas.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this linky.  I just love reading all the ideas every week.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, and stay warm!

3 comments:

  1. They turned out nice. I bet they enjoyed this!
    Kristin
    Come Visit Readbox!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever! You're so great about incorporating technology Mary! (And, I'm no artist either-I draw stick people and corner suns!) Thanks for sharing another great idea!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids love anything Art too! When I started my blog this summer, I made a Google Doc for parents to fill out. I asked if they gave permission for their child and their work to be photographed. All of them said "yes".
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete