Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

A Peek at my Week - Reading Projects

Hello Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her fun linky, A Peek at my Week.


We have off this Tuesday for our conference comp day.  However, I will spend a good chunk of the day working on conference prep and report cards.  I am thankful to have the time to get these things done.

We have been working hard in guided reading groups to reach a variety of comprehension goals.  I met with each group and we talked about our goals as well as what they knew about their books so far.  (Each group has read the first 3-5 chapters.)  I decided to try to "begin with the end in mind" and talk about the final project as we are reading the books.  After our discussions, here is what we came up with.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Diaries-Buddy-Kate-Klimo/dp/0307979040/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392555031&sr=8-1&keywords=dog+diaries+buddy

Goal - Main ideas/summary
Project - Power Point

http://www.amazon.com/A-Dogs-Life-Autobiography-Stray/dp/0439717000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392555200&sr=8-1&keywords=a+dog%27s+life

Goal - Understanding/Evaluating Characters
Project - Create a game using events from the story.

everything for a dog

Goal - Asking and answering deep questions
Project - Create a talk show interviewing the characters.
See this post for a great app and free SMART board activity for generating questions.

http://www.amazon.com/Poppy-Tales-Dimwood-Forest-Avi/dp/0380727692/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392555301&sr=8-2&keywords=poppy

Goal - Expand Vocabulary
Project - Make a graffiti wall with words & illustrations that show understanding of vocabulary (along with important items/events from the story)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Trumpet-Swan-full-color/dp/0064410943/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392555357&sr=8-1&keywords=trumpet+of+the+swan

Goal - Make inferences about characters and events
Project - Make a scrapbook of Louis' life

Because we are working on these projects as we read, we will spend quite a bit of time on this set of books.  This is the first time I assigned the end projects as we are reading the book.  So far, I really like doing it this way.  The kids are super excited about their projects and they are reading carefully to get the information they need.

I am off to check out what everyone else will be up to this week.  

Thank you, Jennifer for hosting this linky.  I always enjoy seeing what everyone has planned.

Have a great week!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I luuuuuuuv that book Everything for a Dog. Read it to my class a couple years ago and just loved it. Great twist at the end! It also feeds my love of dogs (and yours too, I'm sure...)

    P.S. Love love love that you rescued your Millie from the shelter. I'm always encouraging people to Adopt, Don't Shop. Thank YOU! : )

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wide variety of engaging tasks you are doing! What a lucky bunch of students! I can't read the animals books - I always cry! Lol!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so smart to begin with the end in mind. It helps keep us on track and really helps our students focus on their job as readers. I can't wait to read more about this project. Keep us posted!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE all your goals and projects for your books! Poppy is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES!!! Your kids must be so excited!!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the activities you have planned for your guided reading groups!! Great story choices also. You have a busy week ahead, but it sounds like you will be productive!! Have a GREAT week!
    -Abby
    Mrs. Saunders' Lovelies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing what the students come up with for the final products. There are some sad parts in these books, but overall, I just love this unit!

      Mary

      Delete
  6. I always appreciate some good book recommendations! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete