Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Peek at My Week

Hello Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her fun linky, A Peek at My Week


Here are a couple of things I will do this week, and it looks like we will actually have a full week.


Charlotte from Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun recommended this fun book that I thought would be perfect for the week before President's Day.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Presidents-Are-Made-Of/dp/1442444339/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391826580&sr=8-1&keywords=what+presidents+are+made+of

This book describes different presidents through a little known trait, attribute, action, or habit.

Some are fascinating, like John F. Kennedy saving a wounded soldier by pulling him to shore using his teeth.


Some are inspiring, like Theodore Roosevelt and how he follows his own advice and doesn't "fritter away his time".


Some are just plain fun, like how Thomas Jefferson disliked getting dressed up so much that he would sometimes meet officials from other countries in his dressing gown and slippers.


I am taking Charlotte's recommendation and using this book for character traits.  We have been working on character traits throughout the year.  Students are currently in reading groups, and we are working hard on providing evidence for our thinking.  Naming and justifying character traits is a great way to do this.  I plan on reading about a couple of presidents every day this week, reviewing how to fill out a character map and making other inferences.  (I love this character map by Rachel Lynette.)



This Thursday, we will have our Valentine's Day party.  It is a day early because we have a Professional Day on Friday.  Our parents always do a great job with our class parties.  They are a great time to bond with the students.

After school, I am meeting with my team to review some midyear data.


On Friday, we have a Professional Day.  During the morning, I am attending a session to learn more about an online resource called InfoOhio.  We have the afternoon to spend working on our report cards, which are due next Wednesday.  (I'm sure I will be spending quite a bit of time this week working on those!)  I like how our district divides this time.  We have two of these days each year, and they are very beneficial.
 
I'm off to see what everyone else will be up to.

Thank you, Jennifer for hosting this great linky!
Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I'd have to say that I am right there with Thomas Jefferson. If I could wear my slippers everywhere, I would! You always find the best books. My friends at Amazon thank you! :)

    Thanks for linking up, Mary! Enjoy your week and good luck with your report cards.

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kiddos love that book! They think the pictures are so funny!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete