Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Explaining Figurative Language

Hello, Everyone!  Today I'd like to share some activities I used in my class recently to help them explain and use figurative language.   

I made some cards with 12 common similes as well as their definitions.

I handed out a card to everyone in the class.  They had to find the card that matched theirs.  The tricky part was that they had to find their match without saying a word.

The next day, we reviewed what a metaphor was and completed the same activity.  The new twist was that I also incorporated a few of the trickier simile cards from the day before.  As students found a match, they had to state whether it was a simile or a metaphor.  I gave them a new card, and they had to find a new match.


 On the third day, I added idioms to the mix.  Students had a lot of fun with these.

After completing these activities, I made them available as centers for students to use during word work, for writing inspiration, or when they have all their work completed. 

Next, I typed out some paragraphs to see if students could determine the meaning of the figurative language based on the context.


Finally, I gave students some suggested pieces of figurative language for their writing.  They didn't have to use these.  They could choose their own if they wished.


This entire file (including recording sheets and answer keys) is available at my TPT store.  Just click here.



Thank you!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I really like those fig. lang. cards! Count me in as a customer! The kids will love this. : )

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I read your blog, I learn something new! I absolutely love your figurative language cards. Brilliant, I tell you!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    I came across your blog and love many of the ideas your share. LOVED the figurative language unit....I will be going over this with my kiddos next week - so I have plenty of great ideas.

    Thank you for sharing what you do,
    Kelly
    http://learningin2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete