Pages

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Similes, Metaphors, & Idioms (with a freebie)


Hello Everyone!  Today I am going to share a few things I have been working on to encourage figurative language in my classroom.  Next week, we are going to start a new writing titled, "A Day in the Life of..."  (This project has been postponed twice now, due to weather.  Hopefully we are in the clear for next week!)  I really wanted to encourage students to use figurative language in this writing.  See this post for the first figurative language activity I used.  See this post for more about the writing activity.

I found that some of my students were confusing the different types of figurative language, and not always using them correctly.  I decided to create a few things to help them.

The first thing I made was a figurative language sort.


I made thirty cards for students to sort as similes, metaphors, or idioms.  (There are 10 of each.)


I am planning on using this activity in a small group.  Then, I will make it available as a review center where students can record and check their own work.


 
I also made a worksheet that I am going to use as another formative assessment of this skill.  Here, students are asked to explain some meanings in addition to identifying the types of figurative language.


This entire file is available for purchase by clicking here or on the image below.


I have also created a freebie that could be used to explain any type of figurative language.  Students record and identify a type of figurative. Next, they explain and illustrate the literal and figurative meaning.  You can get this worksheet for free by clicking here or on the image below.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Explaining-Figurative-Language-1090703

 Hopefully this Polar Vortex is behind us.  Millie (my rescue pup) is dying to go out for a long walk.

Have a great weekend!
Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Love your figurative language--simile, metaphor, and idiom--materials. This was one of my favorite things to teach my kids when I taught fifth grade. Will be passing your post along to a former teaching friend! Thanks!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is an art form that reaches a multitude of people from all walks of life, different cultures, and age group. As a writer, it is not about what you want. esl idioms

    ReplyDelete