Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tried it Tuesday - Kindle on the SMART Board


Hello, Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for her awesome linky, Tried it Tuesday.


First of all, let me say that I love books, and I don't see myself ever giving them up!  However, I also like to try new twists on my favorite activities, so I thought I would try sharing an electronic book with my class on the SMART Board.  We have been working with figurative language, and  I have have been eying the book, Why the Banana Split for a while now.

 

I saw that it was available on the Kindle.  I thought this was great because I could show students the idioms as I read.  (I don't own a Kindle.  I was just hoping this would work!)  What I liked about this presentation mode was the whole class could easily view the text. Students could come up to the SMART Board and point out the idioms.



We could also highlight the idioms as we read.


Of course, I have to show you the page with the banana idioms.

 
Reading off the SMART Board felt a little different because it is the first time I shared a book this way.  I had some trouble highlighting the pages with pictures, so I will need to play around with this a little.   I would use this method again, depending on the purpose of the book.  When looking for something specific, it worked out great.  However, my obsession for tangible books has not lessened one bit!

After sharing the book, I asked my students to hold up three fingers if they preferred the electronic book presentation, two fingers if they would like me to use a combination, and one finger if they preferred me to share paper books.  Just about everyone held up two fingers.  A few held up either one or three fingers.  The biggest reason students preferred electronic books is so they could follow along as I read.  The biggest reason for preferring a paper book is because they like to read the books I share on their own and the computers are usually taken.  (This made me VERY happy!)

I'm off to work check out what everyone else has tried and spend a LOT of time on report cards today.  (I am off for a conference comp day.)

Thank you, Holly for hosting this awesome linky!  I really enjoy seeing the new ideas everyone is trying out!

Enjoy the rest of the week!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE my Kindle and the apps that I have installed on every computer that I deal with. The synchronization among all the machines is one of the best features. I've been using my Kindle on my Smart Board or wide screen TV for quite a while now and think that it is one of the BEST classroom tools that I have. It makes reading interactive and engaging and makes for a great change of pace! So glad that you Tried It! Now I'm off to try the book that you suggested:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For books I can't get lots of copies of, I've even used the Kindle app for my read alouds. I usually choose one student to click us through the pages as I read my copy. It works out great for students who need to "see" the text as we read even if I can't find a class set of books :)

    Love your idea of highlighting the words & idioms!
    Love to see how others use technology!

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...I'm IN....how are you get the Kindle projected on the SMARTboard? I'm MUST know!!!!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Seriously awesome idea! I'm going to use this for the math story books I'm going to be sharing with my class! I love the idea of everyone being able to see the pictures and being able to highlight and discuss as a class the book as you read!

    Rissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome, Mary! How did you get the Kindle projected on the SMART board? I've never tried this but could see how useful it would be when I don't have texts for everyone. Thanks so much for linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not thought of this- but what an excellent idea! I have a Promethean board, and this would work well using the desktop annotate tool. Way cool.
    ~Heather
    The Meek Moose

    ReplyDelete