Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Peek at my Week, Starting with a Must Read Mentor Text


Hello, Everybody!  Today I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her fun linky, A Peek at my Week.


In reading, we are continuing to work on our reading groups and projects.  See this post for more information on those.  During our reading groups, two big focuses are cause/effect and making/justifying inferences.  I am linking up with Amanda and Stacia from Collaboration Cuties to share one of my favorite mentor texts to use for these skills.


The book I am going to share is Tight Times, by Barbara Shook Hazen.


This is a story about a family who is going through some "Tough Times".  Early in the book, they discuss several effects of the hard times the family is going through.  I have students share these with the class, and I record them on the SMART Board.  It should look something like this.

 

I love this book for cause and effect because the relationships are very clear.


The young boy wants a dog more than anything, but his parents continue to say no due to "Tough Times".  The students eventually come to a part where they can use clues to infer that the times got tougher, as the father has lost his job.


In the end, the boy finds a cat, and his parents let him keep it.  He names the cat "Dog" because that is what he always wanted (although he doesn't want it anymore.) 

This is a great book for comprehension strategies, but I also love the message that it sends.  It always lead to a discussion about gratitude, which I try to stress every chance I get.


Thank you, Jennifer, Amanda, and Stacia for hosting these two awesome linkies.  I love reading them both each week! I'm off to do that now!

Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great book recommendation - my students are generally always going through "tough times".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful book. I am going to have to look for it. Thanks for a great suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just heard about this book this past summer and then totally forgot about it!! It sounds like a great book!! I love that it can be used for cause and effect and inferencing!! I'm going to have to get it!! Thanks so much for linking up Mary!!! :O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used this book last year for inferring. Such a wonderful book! Thanks for sharing how you use it for cause--effect as well.

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I am working on cause and effect this week! I'll have to see if my library has this one. Thanks for the great pictures too!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh oh....Here I go again buying another one of your mentor text recommendations. Maybe you could do me a favor and send me a list of every single book you like. You have such great recommendations -- so unique and different! Thanks for sharing and for linking up!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete