Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

A Peek at my Week

Hello, Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Jennfer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her fun linky, A Peek at my Week.


This week, we start our after school review classes to prepare students for the upcoming Ohio Achievement Assessment.  I am in charge of running the fourth grade group.  I feel fortunate that four wonderful teachers have volunteered to help me out with this.  There are about 30 students signed up, so when we break into small groups, there will be a 1:6 ratio.  Awesome!

For the first portion of the session, we will talk about test taking skills and important vocabulary found in directions.  Here is a SMART board activity I made for this.  I will show students testing strategies with a word or two missing.  They can suggest words to fill in. I will likely use the "turn and talk" method for this so that everyone can participate.


Then, students can come up and erase to reveal the words that are covered.

(If you are interested in this SMART Board activity, you can download it for free here.)

After the whole groups session, we will break up into small groups.  On Mondays, we will work through a story, and on Wednesdays, students will receive focused math practice.  The remaining time of the session will be spent using Moby Max.  This is a computer program funded by our district.  The students love it.

Our sessions will run on Monday and Wednesday for five weeks (taking a week off in the end of March for Spring Break). 

That is my main project for the week.  I will check in later with a few other fun things we have going on this week.

I'm off to check out what everyone else is up to this week.  Thank you, Jennifer for hosting this awesome linky.  I always have fun participating as a writer and a reader.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Mary! That is quite a way to prepare for state testing. Do students sign up for this opportunity or are they recommended by teachers?

    I LOVE Moby Max. I especially like the reading component. It is awesome that I can check on the actual questions my students got wrong so I can see where I need to reteach. However, very often it is not a question of not knowing the material, but answering a question too quickly. (Love that it shows that "Time Taken" feature!) After pointing out to students that they answered a question in three seconds and that they need to slow down, their scores improve dramatically the next time....Amazing! :)

    Have a great week & thanks for always linking up to share your great ideas! :)
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are fabulous, Mary! How wonderful that you are all working together to help your students. They are lucky to have you!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete