Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Peek at my Week

Hello, Everybody!  Last week was super busy! In  addition, Life (outside of school) threw me a couple of curve balls. I think I have everything in order now, but not without a little help (okay, a lot of help) from my dearest friends and family members.  I thought I'd share my favorite quote for weeks like this, because we all have them at some point.


Now, on to my post.  Today, I am linking up with Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her fun linky, A Peek at my Week.


This is our last week before spring break, so we will spend the week wrapping up concepts and getting ready for our next units.  We are also continuing with our after school OAA practice.


Students will finish their reading projects and present on Thursday.  Our wonderful principal is joining us for the presentations, so the students are extra excited!


This will be week two for our OAA after school practice.  The first 15 minutes are spent on test taking strategies and vocabulary.  We are focusing on reading on Monday and math on Wednesday.  We are trying to make these sessions as engaging as possible.

On Monday, I am going to use the random generator on the SMART Board to divide the students into groups of four.  Their task will be to take 12 vocabulary/direction words and match them with the definition.  They will work together, but they need to do so silently.  When they are finished, they are to raise their hand.  One of the teachers will come around and say how many are correct, without saying which ones are wrong.   Students will continue working until they have all the matches correct.  When a group is finished, they may use the cards to play concentration while they are waiting for others.

Here are the cards I plan on using for this activity.




I made them with eight different backgrounds to make it easier to keep track of them.  Here is one more set.  (Papers by Ashley Hughes & font is from Hello Literacy.)



You can download them (for free) here, if you are interested.

If anyone has suggestions to make test taking practice more engaging, I'd love to hear them!

Thank you, Jennifer for hosting this linky.  I always enjoy seeing what everyone has planned.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad that you are managing the curve balls that life has thrown your way (but I am sorry that they were thrown at you at all). Hard times are made bearable when shared with the people we love : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you had a challenging week, and I'm so glad you help from the people around you. You're fortunate to have them. Your bible verse is lovely....I need to have a favorite bible verse too.
    Good luck with the review with your kids this week. Those cards are great. I'll download and keep them for next year (we're not doing state testing this year).

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that idea - thank you for the freebie! We are getting ready for State testing and it will be a great way to work on the vocab without using worksheets or other drill and kill methods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cards and will certainly use them for our OAA prep!
    My favorite review game is $10,000 Pyramid. Most of the kids have never seen the show, but I just put them in pairs (similar levels) and have one student in each pair looking toward the SmartBoard, with the other student looking at their partner but away from the board. Put a list of terms up, the kids have to describe the words to their partners, who have to guess the word, then they move on. I walk around th check for who rely gets it. So much fun! And I learned it while teaching gifted, because it's good review that requires critical thinking.
    I hope that helps you as much as your cards will help me!
    Vicky
    phillips_v@nrschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up.

    Grrrr... well I'm not wriiting all that over again. Anyhow, jut wanted to say excellent blog!


    My blog post :: blow job

    ReplyDelete