Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Making Words, with a Freebie

Hello, Everyone!  My students love making words.  When they asked me to create some more of these activities for the classroom, I was more than happy to oblige.  We are on spring break this week, so I created this activity for part of word work last week.

(Border by The Clip Art Factory, and the font is by Hello, Literacy.)

You can pick this freebie up by clicking here.

I also made a couple of centers for students to practice making words.  The first one has a spring theme.  Students can arrange the letters from eight "Spring Things" to create a variety of words.  In the end, they try to combine all of the letters to guess the mystery word.   I included a recording sheet and word list for this activity.


You can pick up this activity by clicking here.

I made an additional center with a sports theme.  There are two words for each of the following sports: basketball, baseball, soccer, and football.  The digital paper used signifies what sport it is.  I also included three general sports words in this activity.  





This activity is also available at my TPT store.  You can get it by clicking here.

Have a great week!
Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. These are great activities, but I was hoping you could give me some guidance. I tend to shy away from these kinds of things because it never fails that most of my students are putting down words that they misspell (even basic words). I think this is reinforcing bad spelling habits. How do you deal with this? It is a major frustration for me.

    Thanks!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your question. I hope this helps answer it for you and anyone else who may be wondering the same thing.

      This is just one of the Work on Words options I have. The students who I have work with these activities tend to be my stronger spellers. Others are generally working on their sight word lists or a syllable center. My stronger spellers really enjoy the challenge of trying to come up with the most words, and especially trying to figure out what the main words is. Having said that, there definitely are words that get misspelled on these types of activities (or pretty much any other type of activity). If there are only one or two words misspelled, I circle them and write the correct spelling. If there are any more than that, the student needs to correct them, even if it requires using letters that were not in the activity. This really doesn't happen very often, only once in a great while. I have also pulled some of my struggling spellers back to work on this in a small group so I can monitor their choices. The discussion really helps. The students like it because they usually can't "get to" this activity during their daily independent time. I like it because it is another way to practice some basic spelling skills that these students are lacking. It is a win-win.

      You could also put magnets on the back and use this as a whole group discussion/activity. I have heard that some teachers prefer to use this type of activity in that way.

      Mary

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your students might become little wordsmiths with these! Nothing captures the attention of students more than colorful materials. And with these learning materials, they'd learn more stuff while being entertained. A win-win solution for every teacher. Thanks!
    Jake Grant @ FusionDigitalPaper.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My students and I both love Making Words!

      Mary

      Delete