Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Monday Made It

Hello, Everyone!

Today, I am linking up with Tara from Fourth Grade Frolics for her creative linky, Monday Made It.

 
I love this linky!  There are so many creative people out there.  Many of the decorations and activities in my classroom have been inspired by Tara and other wonderful teachers who have linked up.


Over our (many) snow days, I was (finally) able to read Teach Like a Pirate.

 

If you have not read this book yet, I strongly recommend it!  There are so many great ideas to enhance student engagement.  I read a post from Sara at The Colorful Apple, where she put all the wonderful lesson hooks from this book on a ring.  I loved this idea when I saw it, and I loved it even more after I read the book.  I now have all my lesson hooks linked right in my lesson plan binder.  Thank you, Sara for sharing this!

Digital paper by Ashley Hughes.

***I am usually very good about tracking where I find ideas, but I can not remember who originally posted this idea.  If it was you, please let me know!


I cut and laminated these wonderful context clue task cards by Rachel Lynette.  I love using task cards for games, small group review, and centers.



I made some activities for my students to practice figurative language, specifically working with the meanings of  similes, metaphors, and idioms.



You can read my blog post about these activities here.  If you are interested in purchasing them, you can do so here.


Finally, I made a making words activity for spring.  I will blog about this soon (and include a freebie). If your are interested, this activity is currently available in my TPT store here.


***Both of these products will be 20% off today and tomorrow! 

I am running an after school program to practice for the OAA.  I made some cards to practice some key words in directions.  You can read how I use them here, and download them for free here.




I'm off to check out all of the other great Made Its.  I can't wait to see what everyone else has made.  Thank you, Tara for host this fun linky! 


Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. I need to check out that book. Love your hook rings, the colors are so pretty.

    Terri
    Kinder Princess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally read Teach Like a Pirate and really enjoyed it. I didn't get to finish the whole thing, but what I did read was great. I love Rachel Lynette's task cards! I have many different ones!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard of the book, I will have to add it to my list for this summer! Your activities for practicing figurative language look awesome! All of those things you included can be tough for kids. I love using task cards for small group work. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that book but haven't read it yet. Could this be the link Mary? http://2smartwenches.blogspot.ca/2013/07/teach-like-pirate-chapters-13-15.html
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wasn't the one, but it's a great post for people to check out!

      Mary

      Delete
  5. Teach Like a Pirate is such an inspiring book! I put the pirate hooks on a book ring too and I use them all the time! It's such a great tool to have right next to my plan book. They have definitely made me a better teacher!

    Sara :)
    The Colorful Apple

    ReplyDelete