Pages

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Spark Student Motivation Saturday - Economics Simualtion


Hello, Everyone!  Today I am link up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching for her inspirational linky Spark Student Motivation Saturday.

I'm going to share an economics simulation that we used in class this week.  This is an activity that my partner teacher shared with me.  Unfortunately, I do not have the original source.

The goal of this activity is for students to make as much money as possible in the Pasta Jewels business.  Students made rings, bracelets, and necklaces.

The profits are as follows.


Students were randomly divided into four groups.  Each group was provided with ample amounts of string, Fruit Loops, and pasta.


 Students had to work for three different companies with three different philosophies.

The first company is Do What You are Told, Inc.

 
The second company is Make as much as You Want, Inc.


The third company is That's the Way We've Always Done it, Inc.

 

(Students were provided with more detailed instructions than what you see here, but this is the gist of what they had to do.)

Students spent one eight-minute session in company one and three.  They were able to spend two sessions in Make as much as You Want,  Inc.  It was very interesting to see the reactions of students in different areas.  After each work period, we discussed how much money was made and what the problems were.  We didn't discuss solutions until the very end because I wanted each group to problem-solve on their own.

The follow up discussion was awesome.  All group made the most money the second time they worked for Make as much as You Want, Inc.  I love hearing all of their strategies.


I am off to check out all of the other motivating ideas.  Thank you, Joanne for hosting this linky!  I just love it!


3 comments:

  1. What an awesome project Mary! I love this idea and what a great real world experience for them! Pasta Jewels would be right up my alley! So, the whole thing took less than one hour? What a great Friday activity! Must steal this!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea!! I think I will have to fit this into my teaching at some point.
    Thanks for sharing
    Erin
    Learning to be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhh.....me likey...A LOT. Definitely need to try this with my rockstars! Thanks for sharing!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete