Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Workshop Wednesday - Poetry in the Writing Workshop


Hello, Everybody!  I am on Spring Break this week, and it is flying!  I am trying to get in as much as I can, including catching up with some wonderful bloggers!  Today, I am linking up with Jivey, from Ideas by Jivey for Workshop Wednesday.

 

This week's topic is poetry in the writing workshop.  Let me tell you, I have a weakness for books in general, but one of my biggest weaknesses is poetry.  There are so many unique/funny/thoughtful... poetry books to choose from.  Today, I am going to share how I use one of my favorites, Dogku.


Just as the name implies, this is a book of Haiku poems that are all about dogs.  Here are a couple of examples of these fun poems.




Before I share this book with the students, we talk about what a Haiku poem is.  After sharing examples from the book, we "prove" they are Haiku by counting the syllables.  After we finish with the poems from the book, we work together to come up with examples to be posted in the classroom as a reference.  Finally, students are ready to write their own Haiku.  Here is the form I give students to draft their poem.

(Clip art by Ashley Hughes, Font by Hello Literacy, and border by Fabulous Firsts)

You can download this form for free here, if you are interested.

We go through a similar process for several different types of poems, including free verse.  Poems are typed and printed on the students' choice of decorative paper.  When we are finished, they are allowed to publish their book in our school's publishing center.
 
I can't wait to check out all the other awesome ideas for using poetry in writing workshop.  Thank you, Jivey for hosting this awesome linky!

5 comments:

  1. I have heard of Dogku a few times and I'm thinking I definitely need to check it out!! :) Thanks for linking up!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book in my own library! I love to show students that Andrew Clements also writes poetry! I think it surprises quite a few of my avid novel readers :)

    Love that you make the students prove they are haikus... I'll have to remember that as I use this book again this year!

    Happy Wednesday,
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful book! :0) I find using poetry guide sheets works well with my second graders, too (and my former fifth graders). Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!

    All the best--
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the book recommendation and printable. Enjoy the rest of your Spring Break!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mary....you and your mentor texts! I'm off to shop at Amazon now. Love this one!!! How do I not own it already???

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete