Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2014

A Peek at my Week

Hello, Everyone!  Today I am linking up with Jennifer, from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for her fun linky, A Peek at my Week.


Here are a few things I have going on this week.

This week, students will be finishing up their final copies of an opinion writing.  I really enjoyed conferring with students on this writing piece.  
 
Students were each randomly assigned a job to write about from a book called Odd Jobs.
 

As you can see from the Table of Contents,  these are definitely not your every day jobs.


I used a SMART Board generator for students to receive a random job to read about.  (In hindsight, I wish I allowed my students to select their jobs.  I did allow for trading, but that is a change I will make next year.)

I handed students a copy of their job description.  Their first assignment was to highlight specific details that made the job unusual.  They could be tasks that the students think they would enjoy or tasks that would make them not want the job.  


After the highlighting was completed, students wrote about whether or not they would like to have the job.  Their opinions had to be supported with specific evidence from the text.  Let me tell you, students had some strong opinions on both ends of the spectrum on just about every job.

I am allowing students to decide whether to type or write this final copy.  Hopefully, we will get those displayed in the hall this week.

 
This will be our last week with the OAA after school tutoring (which means testing is the follow week).  This has been my first year in charge of these sessions, and I learned a lot.  I would certainly volunteer to do it next year.  I had a great team of teachers helping me, and I feel that we made a difference.

On Saturday, we will throw a surprise birthday party for my mom.  She is turning 70, and she doesn't suspect a thing.  I can only hope I have half my mom's energy and look half as good as she does when I turn 70.  She is amazing!  If you ask her, she will likely credit raising 10 children and having 14 grandchildren to help keep her young.  She is my absolute role model!

Now, I am off to see what everyone else is up to this week.  Yesterday was gorgeous outside, and today it will be close to 80.  I can't wait to get out for a run this afternoon!  I hope the weather is this nice wherever you are!

Have a great week!  Thank you, Jennifer for hosting this linky.  I really enjoy checking out everyone's plans.

6 comments:

  1. I think I might would like to be a FOOD STYLIST! ;) Happy Birthday to your mom. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need to check out that book! Thanks for sharing and enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book looks awesome! I love the idea of writing if an opinion piece to go with it! Happy birthday to your Mom!

    Rissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool idea to do for opinion writing! I think I might have to try that soon! Thanks for the cool idea!
    jivey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your mom!! What a fun way to celebrate! And thanks (again) for another wonderful mentor text!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. That book looks so interesting! I love how you had them highlight first the things that made the job unusual. I know most kids love using highlighters! Glad I found you through this linky - excited to be your newest follower.

    Rebecca
    Ladybugs Lounge

    ReplyDelete